Chapter 13

Rosalie Hale

"Rosalie..."

"I am here. You're safe," Rosalie cooed, rocking the girl back and forth as they lay in the girl's bed. "Do you want something? A sandwich or something to drink."

"Rose...?" Serena mumbled as if she was not fully there.

It has been a week since the incident and Serena has not fully come back to them. The entire week consisted of ups and downs. Today was an in-between day so far. She was calm yet distant with her mind. No flashes of the past, but present in small capacities. Rosalie was just glad the girl was able to feel and hear her.

"Yes, I'm here. Serena, I am never leaving you again. Whatever you want to do, I will be there right next to you."

"Rosalie, are you... there?"

"Always."

"It's a secret..." Serena whispers conspiratorially yet Rosalie could see she wasn't fully present, "I love Rosalie. Did you know that?" She asked with a giggle.

"I know, I love you more," Rosalie said while smiling at her. It felt like it was going to be a relatively good day. The human girl looked confused briefly while yawning. Serena let go of the confusion and snuggled into Rosalie before falling asleep.

"May I come in?" Esme asked as she patiently waited in front of the door.

The room was off-limits to anyone ever since she came back from school with Serena. But she felt bad about making Esme stay away from Serena. Esme was right. It's her daughter in every way possible besides the biological part. Therefore she was allowed while the rest had to stay far away.

"Come in, Esme," Rosalie said. Stroking the human on the back while humming a soft tune. She read humans slept better with some music. Therefore she used the limited singing lessons she had during her human life to the fullest.

"How's she doing?"

"Not fully here, but better. I don't think she will return to school for a long time, Esme. Neither will I."

"I understand. Should I get something for her? She hasn't eaten yet today. It worries me," Esme said as she took a seat next to the embracing duo. The blond sighed.

"I tried to ask, but she didn't answer. Something light would be best, I think. Easy to eat for the brief moments she's awake. Thanks, Esme. I didn't apologize for the growling yet. I am sorry for keeping her away from you. It's not that I don't trust you with her, but her calls for me and her state... I just wanted to keep her safe."

Esme smiled as she placed one hand to squeeze the shoulder. "There's nothing to apologize for. You've met your mate and that is important for every vampire. It is just asking more of you with her being human and her traumatic past."

"I guess so... Did Carlisle say anything about the boy I hit?"

"Some heavy bruises where you hit him. His jaw was almost broken as well. You gave Carlisle quite a task to prevent the involvement of the police."

"That boy should be thanking me to be alive. I wanted to kill him."

"Rosalie!"

"I didn't, didn't I? It's what Serena would have wanted. Although, I wished him dead."

"Don't let me hear such talk again, Rosalie. I don't appreciate it. And you should apologize to Bella. Wishing her dead just because she asked how Serena was doing."

"It was a stupid question," Rosalie huffed but tightened her hold on the human when she felt the body in her arms move, Serena's voice mumbling incoherent words. Rosalie's focus switches away from the conversation to Serena. "Shh, I'm here, love. You're safe."