Chapter 19

Rosalie Hale

The pain of the worst variety was swimming and wreaking havoc inside her. The sounds of the crushing of bones made her want to cry. When she heard the lungs barely catch air made her nauseous to the point of passing out. And the heart which produced the magical music Rosalie could listen to for hours was beginning to stop pumping.

Rosalie felt like she was dying, her mind filled with desperation to reach Serena. Through agonizing pain from foreign venom in her, she crawled forward by digging hand after hand into the ground. Her legs limp as they get dragged over the dirt-covered ground like the rest of her body.

Esme was worse off as both Victoria and James bit her. The only thing she could do was watch Serena die. Rosalie had never seen such a broken face on Esme than at this moment. It was an expression with the power to make any person cry in an instant.

The heart Rosalie heard began to slow its pace. Each time, she counted extra seconds between each beat. By the time she reached the dying body, she finally took in how lifeless Serena looked. There was no movement anymore, her eyes closed like she was a corpse. Even the skin began to lose its color from the internal bleeding.

It is a desperate attempt by Rosalie to keep Serena in her life. Rosalie did it anyway as she sunk her teeth near the closest artery in her neck. Her venom poured into Serena's body while blood entered her mouth. It made her hate herself yet that slowly faded away.

Now Serena will be a lifeless and monstrous creature like herself. That was not what made her hate herself the most. It was the euphoric taste of the blood which she drank happily. Never before has she tasted something so sweet and vibrant. It was like the golden apples from the Garden of Hera. The taste caused her mind to fill with the heavenly taste.

The red liquid purged the paralysis. It made her mind spin from the new experience. Part of Rosalie wished she tried it earlier. Animal blood never was this good. She wished to stop but nothing in her could stop.

"Stop... or she dies..." Esme muttered as she watched.

Every fiber in her wanted to suck Serena dry. Esme's words sounded foolish, almost mad. Why would she stop? Was Esme mad to ask her to stop? She couldn't deny that there was something else that mattered more... Rosalie couldn't remember. The heavenly taste was not to last as she was forced away by four strong arms. It made her trash around like a madwoman. Rosalie wanted to continue.

"Rosalie! Stop and think! It's Serena!" Emmet said to bring the blond back to her right mind.

"It's mine! My blood!"

"Rosalie, it's your mate!" Jasper's voice tried to pierce the blood frenzy of Rosalie.

"Mate..." Rosalie looked down at the pale body. Confused, lost in a haze that she didn't know existed. There was something important about her food. Rosalie was grasping for something through the foggy blood frenzied mind. Almost desperately as if she needed to know what she was doing.

"Remember, Rose. You love her."

"No... No..."

Rosalie's eyes pooled with venomous tears. The bricks of realization crashed down her like a tsunami. Her hands began to shake as she touched her lips. She felt the rich red liquid on her finger. In disbelief, she stared at the blood that dried on her fingers.

"Kill me."

"What?" Jasper asked surprised with shock on his face as he felt Rosalie fall slack in their arms. Her gaze was down like she was brought to her knees to be brought for execution. The pain Rosalie felt was as intense as the day she was being turned. To be lost in Serena's blood when trying to save her. It was too much to bear. She wants it to end.