Chapter 2

Serena Platt

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Serena groans as she feels herself waking up to the rhythmic beeping. It felt like a rebirth. Her mind was still hazy and throbbing with pain. Even so, compared to all the time she was locked up by drugs in a room, it felt like she was reborn.

Her fingers drift around the bed. It felt all very strange to her. The clean linen felt incredibly soft, at least to her. It slowly went higher, over her body, to her face where something made of a springy substance was put in her nose. Where was she? A better question is; what happened to her?

"It's okay. You're safe," a gentle voice said. Serena could hear the melodic sound reach her ears. Never before has anyone sounded so beautiful with simple words. It makes her wonder who it is. What she didn't like is that it belongs to a man. "Can you tell me who you are?" The voice asked.

"Serena Platt."

"Hello, Serena. I am Carlisle currently treating you in the hospital. How are you feeling?"

"I- I am feeling good."

"That's great to hear," he said with a slightly happier tone, "Do you remember anything from yesterday? Anything you could tell me would help me in treating you."

"No."

While she is grateful, she doesn't want to tell. Not to him in any case. Serena does remember something from yesterday. Her escape from her prison, her walk through the forest, and... something angelic? Similar to the melody in the voice of Carlisle but so much better, refiner, Serena wonders who it was.

"If you do remember anything, please tell me alright? I am happy to say you have been improving quickly over the days you have been here. It was a bit tricky in the beginning, but it looks like the danger has passed. Are there any relatives or friends I can call? I am sure they are worried about you."

"No, they're... not with me anymore. And no friends."

"I am sorry to hear that. Let me see if there's anything I can find out. Perhaps someone you have not yet met or know off. Is there anything you'd like to have? Water or perhaps something to eat?"

"No, thank you," she responds with a genuine smile on her lips. Even if she was probably smiling at the wall, the man at least deserved to see she appreciated what he has done. But then something else came to her. "Actually, I do remember something. There was a woman, I think. She found me... Could you see if I can speak with her?"

"Of course, I will see if she wants to speak with you. Please rest as much as you can."

Serena was left alone in the room. It sounds like she was the sole occupant in the room. There was no breathing, shifting on beds, or muttering and coughing. The hospital must have been experiencing a moment of calm. Her mind went back to what Dr Carlisle asked.

She did not lie to him about there being any living family. Her parents were gone. How or why, she never knew. If her situation had anything to do with it, it was probably due to some outstanding "debt". It would explain why she was always told to keep quiet when people like the police came. Although, she never knew anything, so even if she wanted, she couldn't tell them anything.

Serena let out a breath, leaning on the soft mattress and cushion. It was a bit of a struggle to stay awake as the bed was unlike anything she remembered sleeping on. Not that she could remember much of her room in her parents' house in the past. She hopes she will be awake to speak with the woman.