Chapter 37

Bree Tanner

She was surrounded, watched, and a tall well-build blond stood always next to her. His gaze never left her but she couldn't say she felt threatened, only contained. A security for themselves not meant to harm her. She can't blame them really.

This coven is nothing like the one she was part of. If one could call Victoria's rag-tag of vampires a coven. She could see that these vampires- and wolf- all cared about one another. The three females, who were glued to each other, were the most obvious examples. But they were not alone. Carlisle and Esme were just as in love with one another. Similar to the odd energetic pixie and the Texan blond. But not everyone had a partner.

A dark broody guy was alone, staring at her like she was an open book. Somehow she got the feeling he knew what she thought. It felt incredibly uneasy. She didn't like what she sensed from him. Then there was a large bulky guy. He seems very fun to be around. Lastly, standing out like a sore thumb, the human.

That was the most perplexing to her. They didn't care she was human. Didn't seem to want to drink her blood. She could tell her smell was enticing to a few but that was it. There was nothing that she could tell that spelled she would be eaten. Well, she can say she finds her beautiful for a human, loyal, and clumsy in a cute way. Perhaps that's why they kept her around. As entertainment.

"Well, perhaps we should introduce ourselves first," Carlisle says, coming back into the room with a glass of red liquid. "It's blood from a blood bag. I think you haven't eaten in some time. We wouldn't want you to harm, Bella."

Bree gave the man a nod, taking the glass from him. The human is named Bella. She looked at her again. Something about her is special. Bree wonders why.

"Thank you," Bree says with a soft yet tight smile, her eyes looking them all over as she sips from the glass.

"You're welcome, dear," Esme said, smiling at her with the warmest smile Bree ever witnessed in her life. "I am Esme," she starts while starting to introduce everyone. "And this is my husband, Carlisle. These are our adoptive children, well, one being our soon-to-be daughter-in-law, Leah. She is from the local Quileute tribe."

The wolf girl grinned, arms going around two of the Cullens to hold them close. "Yup, going to marry these two lovely women. This angel from heaven is Serena and the goddess on earth is Rosalie."

Bree looked at them briefly and found the descriptions fitting. The blond was utterly beautiful, Bree couldn't even begin to describe how beautiful she was. Victoria would be an ugly witch compared to her. The other woman was stunning and looked almost exactly like Esme, probably some kind of blood-related bond. But she is very gentle from what Bree could tell. Probably like Esme in a way.

"Hmm, indeed, something we're already preparing for," Carlisle said, his voice prideful and happy to see the three holding and snuggling each other like no tomorrow. "Then we have Jasper, he is a gentleman without being very intrusive but at the moment he keeps an eye on you. Don't worry, more out of precaution as Bella is among us. She is the local police chief's daughter. A good friend of ours."

"Sorry for threatening you, Bella," Bree said with an apologetic smile, eyes softening as she looked the human girl over again.

"Ah, water under the bridge," Bella said, waving a hand through the air as if she didn't think about it anymore. Bree has never seen such a kind human before. Probably a good reason why the Cullens would like her and be friends with her.

"Then we have Alice," Carlisle continued. The pixie girl gave her a toothy grin, sneakily giving her a thumbs up that confused her utterly. Bree found her weird yet somehow adorable. "Lastly, we have Edward and Emmet. So, I understand you were looking for us. May we know your name and why you have come to us?"