Chapter 27

Author's Note

I forgot to credit a few people for their input. Hereby I wish to credit them for their input on certain topics and the story in general.

Leah Clearwater's romance story and impact in general:
@Alliebutt

The focus on shape-shifters/wolves for New Moon:
@Alliebutt
@Wolfe0909

Emmet's future:
@Alliebutt
@AegoliusNyx

That's the people I would like to thank and credit for their input. You may not have suggested specific things for the topic, but your comments made me think on it. Therefore, some credit is due. Anyway, hope you will enjoy the chapter.

——

Rosalie Hale

"Are you insane?!"

"Rose..."

"No, Serena, they are dangerous. Our mortal enemy! They hate our kind and you talked to one? Even gave your number!? Do you have any idea how dangerous it is?"

Serena sighed as she rolled her eyes while leaning into Rosalie. The blond was angry about the fact Serena was so careless. This time it was solely because of Serena as Bella had no clue about the existence of shapeshifters. And Serena doesn't even find it risky.

Rosalie is driven to a mental breakdown at this point. First the whole chaise with James and Victoria, then Serena's "death", and now this? Does it ever end, Rosalie questions. It feels as if the universe doesn't want her to find peace.

"But Rose, she is quite nice. Sure, she is quite angry at times but very considerate. In fact, she comes over as someone quite like yourself. Someone who feels pain and perhaps some self-hate. I just wanted to help her. Is that so bad?"

Rosalie let a hand drag over her face as if it would help in removing her mental exhaustion. It is amazing how kind and selfless Serena is. A trait she loves about Serena yet this is going too far. Especially as she can't defend her unless she wants to start a war. One that she would lose.

"Love, I can't defend you there. Please, do it for me and leave those dogs alone."

"Rose, they are human, ehm, human-like beings! I am sure we can be friends. We just have to show them. At the very least Leah is quite nice."

"Until the moment this Leah knows you're a vampire," Rosalie huffs from frustration, "Believe, Serena, these dogs are hardwired to hate us. The only thing you have in advantage is a beating heart and a warm body. Otherwise, the whole pack would have come for you and me."

Serena thinks for a moment which gives hope to Rosalie that her words are having an effect. But her hopes her shattered when a smile formed. Her fiancée is just as stubborn, especially after spending so much time together. Of course, it makes her prideful but damn is it irritating.

"I think it is the right choice."

"Of course you do! I feel like I have no effect on you!"

"You do, Rose. But I am convinced I can bridge the hatred through Leah. Isn't that worth something? Whatever is between us and them can be resolved. I am not naive to think they'll like all vampires, but at least our coven and their pack."

Rosalie let her head fall on Serena's shoulder for the third time. The blond gives up. This battle cannot be won. For whatever reason, Serena's newest obsession is the pack. First her mental health and now this. While she will admit it was good to do some self-reflection, she doesn't see the point in buddying up with the dogs.

"Fine! You infuriating, loving, beautiful woman! Do as you want, just don't make me a widow."

"Never in my life, Rose," Serena said, reaching up to wind her arms around the neck to bring her closer. Their lips meet halfway, the touch calms Rosalie down as her mind brings image after image. Each contains a gruesome sight of Serena dead surrounded by wolves.