129

Given that I had no interest in attending's Slughorn's Christmas party with anyone other than Malfoy, who has made it painfully clear that he doesn't want to be my date the other day, I ultimately made the decision to attend the event on my own.

It's as simple as that and if Professor Slughorn has something to comment on that, so be it.

I felt frustrated.

It's been two years since Malfoy and I missed the opportunity to attend the Yule Ball together and I had hoped that this Christmas party would be our chance to finally enjoy a feast as a pair.

This time by Malfoy himself our chance to attend a formal event as a couple had been once again thwarted.

Sighing deeply, I stood in front of the mirror defining my black waves with Sleekeazy's Hair Potion (thank you, Granddad—only recently I found out Fleamont Potter invented it even though I have been using it for years).

In contrast to my simple loose hairdo, I wore an eye-grabbing outfit.

A long-fitted alluring black dress with long sleeves, a flattering boat neckline and an open back with a daringly low cut to reveal just the right amount of skin.

Leaving the bathroom, my eyes fell on Daphne and Pansy sitting on the carpet as Daphne was painting Pansy her nails.

The brunette stared at me for a moment before she spoke, idly, almost as if she didn't mean it.

"Pretty dress." She complimented.

"Thank you." I said with a small smile as I moved to my bed.

Daphne looked up from Pansy her nails and followed her gazeline. "Oh, you look stunning, love."

"Thank you." I repeated, my smile becoming wider as I sat down and reached for my trusty black Mary Janes.

I stopped in my movements when somebody knocked on the door from our dorm.

We all three glanced at each other as Daphne got off the ground and went to open the door, the nail paint and the brush hovering in the air next to Pansy her hands.

I perked my ears but with whoever she was talking to spoke very quietly and the laughter from students running down the hall of the girls' dormitories didn't make it easier to hear the conversation.

I couldn't see who was at the door either because she only opened it ajar and stuck her head through the gap.

Turning around, a sunny smile was playing on her lips and her eyes diverted to me.

"Who's it?" I asked curiously, raising from my bed while I only had one shoe on.

"Someone who wants to see you." She smirked, returning to Pansy on the carpet.

Could it be?

Because of the height difference between my legs, I walked weirdly to the door.

As I opened it wider, I saw Malfoy standing there, dressed up, looking as awfully handsome as ever in his black suit.

I grinned instantly and it must've been a contagious smile because now he was too, making his smile lines show

But then I remembered how he made me feel the other day.

Clearing my throat as my smile wore off, I closed the door behind me as I stepped out into the hallway while Malfoy didn't move, forcing me to look up even more at him.

"Malfoy." I said, my voice cold.

"Amelia." He answered, his voice just as stony.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned.