52

I inhaled sharply, my chest heaving as I pushed wet strands of hair away from my face.

The frigid gust brushed against my skin, an icy whip that intensified the sensation of freezing.

Oddly, even in the chill of February in England, my breath didn't form the usual misty clouds when I exhaled.

The bitter air seemed to scoff at my discomfort, a reminder of just how cold it could get.

The Black Lake stretched out around me, an expanse of dark water that held secrets beneath its surface.

Beside me was Gabrielle, Fleur's younger sister, her presence a reassuring anchor in this bewildering situation.

Amidst the cacophony of shouts and cheers ringing in my ears, the daylight illuminated the scene, a stark contrast to the bewitched slumber Professor McGonagall had cast upon me just the evening before.

As I pieced together the fragments of my surroundings, the puzzle snapped into place with a startling clarity. It was unmistakable—the Second Task of the Triwizard Tournament had engulfed me in its enigmatic embrace.

My struggles in the water mirrored my internal turmoil, a reflection of the lack of swimming lessons that Vernon and Petunia had adamantly denied Harry and me during our Muggle upbringing.

Despite my own challenges, I was determined to guide Gabrielle to the platform we were meant to reach.

The platform emerged from the water, a haven amidst the waves, a gathering of students from Beauxbatons, Durmstrang, and Hogwarts.

Amid this sea of faces, it was the gaze of Lyra and Malfoy that found me first, holding towels as they stood there.

"Thank you, Amélia." Fleur's smile radiated warmth as we approached the platform.

Her expression was a mixture of concern and relief, her gaze shifting between her little sister and me.

I managed a feeble smile in response, acknowledging Fleur's emotions as I clung to the platform's edge.

Meanwhile, Malfoy had crouched down in front of me, a mischievous grin tugging at his lips.

"What's with your hair, huh?" He quipped, his smirk evident.

An exasperated huff escaped me, and I retaliated by playfully splashing some of the icy water towards his undoubtedly expensive shoes.

"Come on, let's get you out." Malfoy's tone shifted as he grasped my hand firmly.

With a display of unexpected strength, he hoisted me out of the water and onto the platform.

"Thank you." I uttered, my lips trembling.

As I stood there, soaked and shivering, Lyra rushed to my side, enveloping me in a towel that, though comforting, couldn't fully dispel the bone-chilling cold. Water droplets clung to my clothes and skin, the frigid breeze doing nothing to alleviate the discomfort.

"They couldn't have chosen a warmer time for this task, could they?" Lyra's attempt to lighten the mood was met with a sigh from me.

Her embrace and soothing back rub were appreciated, especially with Malfoy providing a barrier against the biting wind.

"I know." I replied, my voice betraying the shivers wracking my body.

The absurdity of the Triwizard Tournament was starting to overshadow any excitement I might have initially felt. It was becoming apparent that this ordeal was more madness than thrill, and I wasn't even one of the champions.