131

As the evening progressed, my brother's dissatisfaction was palpable as he continued to stare at Malfoy and me. It was as if he was searching for something to criticise, waiting for Malfoy to ruin it so he had an actual reason to prove his point about the blonde.

Of course, Malfoy noticed and as always took it up a notch by asking me to dance.

I gazed into his grey eyes with a mixture of determination and vulnerability as we danced leisurely to the music, each step deliberate.

My right hand lay in his left while my other hand rested gently on his shoulder. His right hand on my back steadied me against him.

Although the other couples around us seemed to be lost in the joy of the moment, we were displaying a more intense and serious expression as if our dance was a battle of wills, a contest to see who would emerge on top in this.

"You're looking at me as if you want to hex me." Malfoy smirked.

"I might." I retorted, my tone teasing.

"That's sexy." He drawled, his hand lowering to my arse.

At once, I brought his hand back up to my lower back. "That's not happening, Malfoy."

"You're no fun." His eyes glinted with naughtiness.

"I'm not here to cater to your every whim, Malfoy." I said matter-of-factly.

"You're actually no fun." He grumbled, but the sparkle in his eyes suggested otherwise.

"I can be plenty of fun without your hand on my arse." He twirled me around and then firmly pulled me in again. "Thank you very much."

"I beg to differ." He said, his fingers slipping under the fabric of my dress, soon reaching the waistband of my underwear.

"Don't even think about it." I said sharply as I moved his hand once again up to my bare lower back before it could skim any further.

"You're feisty tonight." He chuckled darkly. "I want you like that all the time."

"I don't care what you want." I said, my tone unyielding.

"You should." He said, his eyes flickering over my face.

"Why?" I asked

"Because I want you."

"You're—"

"Whatever insult you're gonna call me, you keep coming back to me for more nevertheless."

"I had decided to come here on my own." I insisted.

"Sure, you did." His voice dripped with sarcasm.

"I did." I said firmly.

"Yet you're still here with me." He pointed out, his eyes never leaving mine.

"Unfortunately." I muttered.

"Ouch." He said, feigning hurt feelings.

"Good." I said with a satisfied look.

"You know you want me." He said smugly.

"I do not." I replied stubbornly, yet my eyes betrayed me with their heated gaze.

"Admit it." He said lowly.

"Never." I said, my resolve faltering slightly.

"Come on, Amelia. Just say it. Say you want me."

"I'd rather die." I scoffed.

"Harsh." He said with a chuckle.

"Truth hurts." My tone was collected.

He lowered his head and leaned with his face down, his lips grazing my ear causing my eyes to fall shut as I buried my face on his collarbone.