3

As I struggled to navigate through the maze-like corridors of Hogwarts using the map, a voice filled with disdain interrupted my thoughts from behind.

"Having trouble finding your way, Potter?" Malfoy's cold voice sneered, causing me to startle slightly.

I let out an exasperated sigh and turned around to face him, my frustration evident.

"Why don't you pretend to be friendly and show me the way?" I suggested, hoping to make use of his presence.

Mocking me, Malfoy cocked his head to the side.

"Sounding all sweet now that you need my help." He taunted.

I rolled my eyes at his behaviour and sighed again.

With an appraising look, he walked past me, prompting me to follow him. The thought crossed my mind that he might lead us somewhere we weren't supposed to go. But surely, he wouldn't risk getting himself in trouble too.

We continued down a long, gloomy stone corridor that seemed to stretch on endlessly.

I couldn't shake off the feeling of the increasing darkness as we neared the Slytherin Common Room.

"So, why did you change schools?" Malfoy inquired, his hands nonchalantly tucked into his pockets.

I responded dismissively. "That's not really your concern, is it?"

He huffed, already growing impatient with my lack of cooperation. "Is it such a great secret, then?"

"Obviously, it was for a guessable reason. I missed my brother." I replied, trying to brush off his probing.

"Well, obviously you'd miss him, but you managed to do so for two years already... So?" He observed, glancing at me curiously, searching for something in my expression.

"It became unbearable." I lied, hoping he wouldn't dig deeper.

"After one year, you didn't miss him enough to come back to England, but after two years, you suddenly did?" He huffed.

Malfoy's intelligence surprised me. He was smarter than I had given him credit for.

"What are you trying to imply?" I asked, my throat feeling dry.

"That it is indeed a great secret why you came to Hogwarts." He stated, leaving a silence hanging in the air.

I didn't feel the need to justify myself, and saying something like "believe what you want" would only confirm his suspicions.

We approached a staircase that descended towards a blank stone wall when Malfoy spoke again, breaking the silence.

"Now tell me, what did Saint Potter have to say about me?" He asked, a hint of curiosity in his voice.

"Nothing interesting." I replied casually.

"Do tell." He pressed, a smirk playing on his lips.

"Your name came up about three times in dozens of his letters over a span of two years. Trust me, it was three times filled with nonsense." I retorted, looking at him with an uninterested gaze.

He raised an eyebrow, his smirk widening. "So, you kept track of how many times you read my name?" He quipped.

"Do flatter yourself, Malfoy. I read the ones with your name multiple times. Everything you did was so foolish that it became amusing for me to read." I replied, a haughty smile forming on my lips.

Finally, we were approaching a door which I suspected to be the entranceway of the Slytherin Common Room.

As Malfoy uttered the password, "Pureblood" the door to the Slytherin Common Room swung open, allowing us entry.