45

A frustrated sigh slipped past my lips as I entered our dorm room and found Parkinson there.

She could easily ruin everything—either by revealing my whereabouts to Lyra or just by being her usual irritating self.

"I can't ask you for a favour, can I?" I asked, sighing.

"Of course, you can." Parkinson replied in a surprisingly mild tone.

What in Merlin's name is going on?

"What?" I asked, dumbfounded, turning to face her. 

She was sporting a smile that stretched from ear to ear, and it was honestly unsettling. Was she alright?

"I said, of course, you can ask me a favour." She said.

I discreetly pinched my arm to see if I was in some sort of bizarre dream. 

Nope, definitely not dreaming.

"Alright then. Could you possibly refrain from letting Lyra know that I'm hiding in the bathroom when she enters?" I requested.

"Sure." She nodded, her grin still in place. "But why?"

"Well, I've set up this plan with Zabini for him to ask Lyra to the Yule Ball, and for that to happen, she needs to read this note." I explained, waving the note before placing it on her bed.

"I see what you mean." The brunette replied.

I wondered what had gotten into Parkinson. What on earth could be making her this cheerful?

Oh no.

Perhaps the real question was, who could be making her this cheerful?

"Speaking of the Yule Ball, have you found a date yet?" I asked, my hand already on the bathroom door handle.

"I have. Have you?" She inquired, her eyes gleaming with excitement.

Part of me wanted to poke her right in the eyes.

"I have." I fibbed, mustering a forced small smile before stepping into the bathroom.

The dynamic between Pansy and me had improved somewhat from last year's lows, but moments like this reminded me of why I still found her insufferable.

She hadn't explicitly stated that Malfoy was her date, but it was clear as day. There was only one person she'd be going with.

Of course, he'd choose Miss Pureblood herself. 

The thought was enough to make me scoff. Naturally, he would.

It was fortunate that Parkinson couldn't see my face at this moment, as it would have given away my intense displeasure.

Out of sheer frustration, I impulsively grabbed a hairbrush from the washstand and hurled it to the ground with such force that the hard plastic even bounced back up.

"Everything alright in there?" Parkinson's voice came.

"I'm fine, just something fell." I lied.

Truth be told, I couldn't care less about Malfoy and his ridiculous date.

Screw them both.

A mere couple of minutes later, I heard Lyra entering our dorm, and she promptly questioned Parkinson about my whereabouts.

"I haven't seen her for a couple of hours, but she left you a note." Parkinson answered.

"Oh," Lyra responded, and I assumed she must have read the note within the next few moments. Just a minute later, she exited our dorm.