Chapter 44: Judgement

You and Clementine hastily squeeze your way through the narrow entrance to the cave, with the sounds of the undead still following close behind.

After a moment the two of you push past the crevice and into a larger, pitch black chamber, where you notice AJ standing further ahead.

The two of you make your way over to the boy, trying to gather your bearings as you reach him.

"Okay, we're safe, but not for long," you say quietly as you look back to the cave opening, seeing that James had made his way into the cave as well.

The four of you start to walk a bit further into the chamber, being unable to see much of anything besides a few streaks of moonlight shining down through a small crack in one of the walls, where a stream of water was pouring down into the chamber.

"Damn it, it's so dark in here," Clementine mutters quietly as you all reach what you thought was the center of the chamber.

"We don't have long before those walkers get in. We need to find a way to keep moving," James comments, as you nod in agreement.

"..James is right, those walkers are going to make it through the opening eventually so we need to-" you start to explain before being suddenly interrupted by the echoes of footsteps approaching from your left.

The four of you quickly turn to face the sound, fearing the worst as the footsteps draw closer.. before revealing a familiar face.

"Holy shit, Tenn!?" Clementine exclaims as you all look to the boy in complete disbelief, having no idea where he came from.

"Clementine? Y/N?" Tennessee calls out as you both rush over to him, seeing his completely terrified expression.

"A-are you okay? How did you get in here?" Clementine worriedly asks as you both look to each other.

"I'm fine... After the explosion, I was knocked off the boat and into the river. After I got to the shore I didn't see anyone else.. so I ran," Tennessee starts to explain as he glances back to the shadows he came from.

"..Once I made it in here I thought I found a way out.. but it was just a dead end," he finishes as you and Clementine lock eyes, both sharing the same looks of complete guilt for not being able to get Tenn to safety with the others a few minutes ago.

"Is.. everyone else okay? Did the others make it off of the boat?" Tenn asks after a moment, as you look back to him and nod.

"Everyone made it. Clem got everyone back together until some of the raiders who survived the explosion started to shoot at us. After that we were separated again," you reply quietly, as you start to hear the groans and growls of the dead seemingly getting closer.

All of you glance back to the entrance to the cave, now seeing the silhouettes of a few walkers piled up on each other in the opening.

"..The rest of the kids should be on the way back home right now. We just need to find a way out of here so we can do the same," you continue as you look back to Tenn and the others.

"There has to be another opening somewhere, right? Tenn.. has anyone ever been here before? Or at least know of any cave openings around us?" Clementine asks as you all start to glance around the dim cavern.

"..I'm not sure. After Marlon set up the safe zone coming down to the river was off limits," Tennessee replies as you hear James sigh.

"We can't go back the way we came. There's too many walkers to even think about fighting in our condition," he explains as you look past him, towards the stream of water further in the cave.