Chapter 27: The raid

"They're here."

You, Clementine, and AJ all start to make your way down from the watchpost. You needed to warn the others.

You hop down from the watchposts ladder and look out to the other kids. You notice Louis walking towards you with a worried look.

"Raiders?" He asks as he reaches you. You and Clem both nod your heads as you start to walk towards the admin building.

"Yeah, they're here," Clementine replies.

Louis sharply exhales as he nods his head.

"Shit...well, in case it all goes to hell and I don't see you again, just know that I have no idea what that D stands for on your hat," he explains.

You and Clementine both send him confused looks.

"Don't tell me. I prefer it to remain a mystery. But I'm gonna pretend it stands for don't die. So just... listen to your hat, okay?" He continues. Clementine slowly nods her head as you reach the admin building.

The other kids had all grouped up with you, realizing what was happening. They all had confident looks on their faces, but you could tell that they were terrified.

Clementine steps forward and looks to them all.

"They're here, and they've got at least six more people with them.. all armed. And carts, probably to carry people away," she explains. Everyone looks back to the two of you worriedly.

"I can't believe they're really here," Ruby replies. The rest of the kids start to freak out as Marlon steps forward. He raises his arms to gather their attention.

"Hey, everyone calm down. We've had a week to prepare for this. As long as we stick to the plan, we can keep them out and make sure they never return," he explains with a determined look.

Clementine nods her head as she looks out to everyone.

"IF they get inside, I'll keep them focused on me. That should give Willy and Mitch enough time to set up the bomb," she explains. Mitch smiles as he crosses his arms.

"I'll set it under their carts. It'll work. I promise," he replies confidently.

Clementine then points to the admin building.

"If we aren't able to hold them off, we follow the plan and fall back to the admin building," she says.

"Right into our traps," you add as Aasim sends you a smirk.

"They're in for a rude fuckin suprise. Those duffel bags will break bones, easy," he replies.

Everyone goes quiet as the kids all look to Clementine and Marlon. Louis clears his throat nervously.

"So.. uh, any final words of wisdom?" He asks.

You and Clementine both look to Marlon. He's been with these kids almost his whole life. He needed to do this.

Marlon realizes that he needed to speak for everyone, and he looks down for a second. After a moment he looks back up to everyone with a confident smile.

"..We've lived our entire lives here. This is our home. We can't let these people just walk inside and take us away from it. We've all been through too much to just give up. We're going to fight back, and we're going to win. All of us. We just need to look out for-"

A loud bang suddenly fills the air as Omar screams out in pain. He falls to the ground as he starts to clutch his knee. You could see blood beginning to soak into his jeans as the kids all start to back away.