Chapter 2: The Girl

"Don't try anything stupid, because I won't hesitate to kill you," the girl warns as she raises her knife.

You nod your head and slowly place your machete and backpack on the floor. You look back to the girl and raise your hands.

"Okay... I don't want any trouble. I'm just looking for somewhere to stay for the night," you explain calmly.

The girl continues to glare at you with her knife raised.

"Are you alone?" She asks.

"Yeah, it's just me. I've been on my own for over a year now. You're the first person I've ran into in... I don't know how long," you reply as truthfully as you could.

"And you somehow stumbled into our house, out of every other one in the neighborhood?" The girl asks. Her sceptical expression remaining unchanged.

You start to realize she had a good point, which was a bad look for you.

You focus and start to explain yourself.

"Look, I hurt my ankle pretty badly earlier today, so I didn't want to spent too long looking for shelter. This was the safest looking house from the outside..." you answer.

The girl looks down for a second. You see her defensive expression lessen a bit.

"Why should I believe you?" She asks.

You sigh and put your hands down.

"You have every reason to not believe me, but I'm telling the truth. I've been out here on my own for ages now. Trying to survive by myself is just getting harder and harder. The last thing I want to do anymore is hurt anyone I run into out here," you reply.

The girl takes a second to think over what you said. She then looks down to the boy who was peering around her side, gun still aimed at you.

A few seconds pass before she sighs and puts her knife away. The boy looks up to her and quickly lowers his gun.

"So....you trust me?" You ask after a second. The girl looks at you with a stern expression.

"I don't think you're lying to me, but that doesn't mean I trust you yet," she replies.

You nod your head and silence fills the dimly lit room. Considering it's been a little over a year since you've talked to another living person, you didn't really know what to say.

A thought suddenly enters your mind. You've been alone for too long now. Surviving on your own has just been getting harder and harder, and you haven't seen too many other survivors out here recently. It might be a good idea to try and warm up to these people, since you might not get another chance...

"Um, do you guys need any food? I've got some left that I can spare..." you say after a moment. You see the boys eyes light up.

"Can we have some, Clem?" He asks as he tugs on the girls arm. She looks down at him before back to you.

"Uh, are you sure?" She asks with a worried look. You shrug and pick up your bag.

"Yeah, it's the least I can offer, considering you haven't killed me yet. Most other survivors I've ran into out here were either insane or not very good people... I've had some close calls when meeting new people, but you actually gave me a chance to explain myself," you reply.

You unzip your backpack and pull out one of your remaining cans of food. You hand it to the girl and she sends you a small smile.

"Thanks, we haven't had much to eat over the last few days," she replies. She gives the can to the boy, who immediately takes it over to their small fire they had set up.