Chapter 19: Guts

You look out into the trees, trying to find the herd of walkers.

After a moment, you finally spot them. It looked like there was twenty of them... all heading your way.

"Come on..." you mutter frustratedly. You needed to move.

You rush over to AJ and pick him up as you start to run into the forest again.

~~~~~

You've been running for at least ten minutes now. The sounds of the undead still echoed around you. You knew you wouldn't be safe until you found Clementine or shelter.

You continue to move forward until you decide you were in the clear for a minute.

You walk over to a tree and lay AJ down. He had passed out a few minutes ago. Probably not a good sign.

You start to examine his gunshot wound.

You slowly pull AJs shirt up and see a few bullet wounds scattered around his stomach. Most looked to have just grazed him, but a few looked like they went deep...

"Hurts..." AJ mutters as he slowly wakes up.

"I know buddy... but I'm gonna do everything I can to keep you safe, okay?" you say sympathetically. AJ slowly nods his head.

You tear a piece of your shirt off and wrap it around AJs abdomen. Hopefully this helps keep him stable for now..

You suddenly start to hear groaning coming from the nearby trees. You stand up and look into the forest to see a group of walkers slowly making their way towards you.

You sigh and look down to AJ. You were too tired to carry him any longer, and you wouldn't be able to kill them all at once...

You look around for anything to help you, but find nothing. You could only see one way to keep you and AJ alive...

You rush over to AJ and put your hand on his shoulder.

"AJ, I'm going to need to lure the walkers away from us, okay? The second I get the chance I'll make my way back to you," you explain calmly.

AJ nods his head with a nervous look.

"I'm gonna need you to stay as quiet as you can until I come back. If anything sees you, use your knife," you say. AJ takes his knife out and nods his head confidently.

"Okay... please be safe," he replies. You could tell he was terrified.

"Hey, I'm going to come back. I promise," you say reassuringly.

The sounds of the dead were getting louder and louder by the second. You take a deep breath as you stand back up.

You start to make your way into the darkening forest and you spot the silhouettes of the walkers after a moment.

There looked to be about ten of them, but there were definitely more in the area. You pull your knife and machete out again and start to run towards the herd.

You reach the herd after a second, and they start to slowly realize you were there.

"Come on assholes! This way!" You shout, trying to draw them all towards you.

The walkers all notice you and immediately start to chase after you.

You run ahead of them, keeping your distance but staying close enough so they didn't lose interest.

"Keep moving guys! Just a little further!" You shout as you continue to jog through the forest.

Another few minutes pass before you figure you'd made enough distance from AJ.