Chapter 31B

Choice B "Don't believe James"

"I... I don't know if I can even try to believe that," you say quietly. James sighs as he nods his head understandingly.

"I know, it sounds strange.. but I just ask that you try to understand me," he continues.

"So few of us die anymore. We turn.. not dead, not alive. But when they're alone... They're peaceful. Harmless," he explains.

You shake your head as you look back to him. Everything he was saying felt wrong.

"James, look... those things are the reason I've lost everyone I ever loved. They won't care if we think they're peaceful. They'll still just be monsters who want to rip us apart the second they see us. Nothing more," you reply. You notice AJ nod his head as James sighs with a troubled look on his face.

"Yes, but.. when their left alone it's different. They aren't just the monsters you say they are," he replies. Before you can respond, you notice AJ step forward and look up to James curiously.

"Do you really think there's people inside of them?" He asks.

James nods his head as he looks over to you and Clementine.

"Yes... somewhere. Think about it this way.. has someone you cared about turned?" He asks.

You and Clementine both stare back at him, slightly shocked by his question. After a moment you both slowly nod your heads as AJ speaks up for you.

"Clems friend, Lee. She shot him before he did, though. So he wouldn't have to suffer," he explains. James notices where his question led to, and a look of regret immediately crosses his face.

"Uh, sorry... maybe this wasn't the best way to explain. Didn't mean to bring up difficult memories," he explains apologetically.

He turns to face the barn again as he shakes his head.

"..I lived among walkers for years. Still do, in a way... Look, if you want my help, I need you to try and walk with them. Then tell me if you really believe they're only just monsters," he explains.

You stare back at him, shocked by what he was asking of you. You look over to Clementine to see her looking back to you with an unsure expression.

"They are just monsters," AJ says as he looks up to you and Clem.

"This isn't smart. It's too dangerous," he adds with a worried look. You sigh as you glance over to Clementine.

"Clem, I agree with AJ. I don't feel comfortable with this," you say.

Clementine nods her head as she looks back to you. After a moment she sighs and looks over to the barn.

"Y/N, we need to do this. This is our only shot at saving our friends," she explains calmly.

She looks back to you with a nervous expression.

"The other kids would do the same for us," she continues. You open your mouth to argue against her, but you realize that she was right. You didn't like it, but there were no other ways to save your people.

You both look back to James as Clementine takes his mask. She steps back a bit as she looks up to the barn nervously.

"Clem, I can do it if you don't want to," you say as you take a step closer to her. Clementine shakes her head as she looks down to the walker mask.

"It's okay. I can do this," she replies. You anxiously nod your head as she starts to walk up to the barn, only for AJ to step out in front of her.