Chapter 20: Back to school

It's been a little over an hour since you woke up. You, Clementine, and James were walking towards the school right now.

AJs condition had gotten worse overnight. He wouldn't make it much longer without medicine.

You see James look over to AJ as you walk.

"Is he awake?" He asks with a worried look.

Clementine nods her head as she feels AJs forehead.

"Yeah. He's so hot," she replies in an exhausted voice. You look to her, concerned with how tired she sounded.

"Clem, I can carry him the rest of the way. You could use a break," you say.

She looks to you and shakes her head.

"No, it's fine. I've got him," she replies as she keeps walking. You nod your head and continue to follow behind her.

You keep walking for a few more minutes until you see a wooden bridge up ahead. You'd reach the school any minute now.

The three of you make it to the bridge after another minute and you start to cross it with the school now in sight. You notice James stop behind you.

You stop walking and turn to him.

"What's wrong?" You ask.

"This is as far as I go. I'll stay in the area. For when the raiders return," he explains.

You look to the school for a moment.

"You said you're alone out there, right? You could stay with us. We could use the help," you explain.

James looks down for a moment and you see him think it over. After a second he looks back up to you and shakes his head.

"Not ready," he replies. He looks over to AJ with a concerned look before turning around.

You nod your head and continue to walk towards the school with Clementine.

You reach the front gates to see Willy up on the watch post. He raises his bow but lowers it once he realized it was you.

"Louis! Violet! They came back!" He shouts as he jumps down from the watch post.

A few seconds pass before you see Louis walking towards the gate. Clementine tries to step forward but falls onto her knees, causing AJ to groan in pain from the sudden movement.

Louis runs over to you as you kneel down to help Clem up.

"Shit, is he...?" Louis starts to say as he looks to AJ. 

"He was shot but he's still alive. He's got a fever," Clementine explains.

"Come on, let's get him inside," Louis says sympathetically. Clementine tries to get onto her feet but instantly falls back onto her knees.

"I can't," she replies with a tired sigh.

"Here, I got him," Louis says as he takes AJ from her. He stands up and starts to walk back into the schoolyard.

You help Clementine stand back up and the two of you follow behind Louis.

You hear AJ let out a pained whimper from up ahead.

"It's okay buddy. I've got you," Louis says comfortingly.

You notice Clementines saddened and worried expression.

"Hey, AJ's gonna be alright. Ruby can help him," you say reassuringly.

She looks to you with a weak smile and she nods her head. You could tell she was still worried.