Chapter 92 - Strong

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Before daybreak the following morning, Severus's instincts woke him.

His dark eyes cracked open.

He furrowed his brow as he sat up to stare down at Harriet.

Although she slept soundly, a telltale frown rested on her lips.

Careful not to disturb his wife, Severus slipped an arm under the many blankets of Harriet's nest and spread his hand over her belly.

He waited for several minutes.

The drowsy tranquility of the early morning would have lured some back to sleep, but Harriet's newly-sweetened scent forced him to stay awake.

It happened gradually, slowly, subtly as it crawled across his wife's flesh.

Severus's black eyes widened while his mate's womb tightened under his fingers.

As deftly as a creeping cat, he rose from the bed and stepped out into the hallway to wake Healer Margot and Rabbie.

Although Harriet continued her slumber, Severus thought it wise for her assistants to prepare themselves for the day.......it promised to be a busy one.

—————————————————————

He had nearly made it back to his bedroom door when a voice stopped him, "........Dad?"

Severus stopped abruptly before he turned on his heel to face his unknown inquirer.

"Rabbie is busy dressing herself." Maggie frowned as she slowly rolled her chair towards him, "........Is.......Will today be-......?"

"Your mother will most likely give birth today......yes." Severus nodded.

He said nothing else as Maggie frowned into the uncomfortable pause.

"Has Mum.......decided?" She asked, "If she'll allow me to be in the room?"

"I imagine your mother will make her final decision when the moment comes." Severus nodded, ".....Though I expect......that once she wakes......She'll at least permit you to sit with her for a while.......if she's able."

"Brilliant!" Maggie nodded with a sweet smile, "I understand. I'll.....I'll be in my room, then, if you need to come and tell me anything, once she's up."

Severus nodded in return before he slowly turned back around to continue on his way.

".......Dad?" Maggie asked a second time.

Severus halted again just before he whirled to face his eldest child once more, with his black hair falling into his face.

"Even if Mum says no, will you....will you let me know she's alright?" Maggie frowned.

"Of course." Severus vowed as he mirrored his daughter's expression. His dark eyes flickered briefly to Maggie's bedroom door as he urged her, "Go back to sleep....for now.......It may be hours yet before anything changes......You are young, my dear, you need your rest."

Maggie gave Severus a wry smile before they went their separate directions.

Once she returned to her room, she eagerly struck up a serious discussion with Rabbie about what to expect and what she may very well witness.

Severus let out a soft sigh as he reentered the bedroom he shared with Harriet and found his mate still sleeping peacefully.

His anxiety crescendoed as he contemplated what would come next.