Chapter 18 - Cravings

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Once Madam Pomfrey released Harriet from the infirmary ward, Severus escorted her back to his chambers and promptly settled her into her nest.

She was quite surprised when he left shortly afterwards and returned with a midwife by early evening.

Harriet kept scowling at her alpha the entire time that the woman examined her, but Severus returned her hateful look with an unreadable expression.

"Congratulations, my dear!" The midwife beamed to Harriet after she finished her assessment, "I'll give you and your alpha some instructions, but it looks as if everything is going splendidly so far!"

Harriet barely listened to the midwife, still in shock, but Severus clung to the woman's every word, recording them in his mind for later review.

Once the woman left, Harriet frowned over at Severus as if he had betrayed her.

"Why did you do that?" She huffed in an irritated tone.

Severus blinked questioningly at his omega.

"Why did you bring someone in here?!" Harriet snapped, "You know that'll only fuel more rumors that we're......that we-"

"But we are, Potter." Severus replied. His tone was low and cutting as he added, "You're my mate and I'm yours."

Harriet closed her mouth with a frown.

"When a son or daughter is born to us, how long do you think it will be before someone discovers their parentage? I'm opposed to frivolously letting nosy students and prying staff members know the details of my personal life, but I do have a mate now that's going to be wandering the halls, round-wombed with my child......It's inevitable that our coupling will eventually become common knowledge."

Harriet heaved a great sigh and put her hands on her face.

"........Are you not up to the task of motherhood?" Severus asked.

His question was blunt but his voice was hesitant, as if he feared his omega's answer.

"No, it's not that.......I'm just.....I'm frightened." Harriet replied with a sigh.

Severus glided over to her nest and sat down beside her.

Slowly, he pulled his beloved into his lap and wrapped her in his strong arms.

Harriet laid her head against Severus's chest and listened to his voice rumble within it while he spoke, "Being frightened changes nothing. You'll be a mother and I'll be a father. Instead of squandering time on pointless fear, we should be doing what we can to prepare for what lies ahead of us."

Harriet looked up at Severus and he gazed down into her green eyes before he opened his mouth again and mentioned, "I can make you more comfortable, you know."

"What do you mean?" Harriet asked quietly.

"I hardly imagine now that you'll be able to finish the Auror program on time, no matter what delusions you may entertain......You'll be of little use to me as my assistant when you're days away from giving birth. We can buy a home, you and I. A proper home that you can keep as your nest. You can rest there and look after our house and child. I can hire help for you, if need be." Severus generously offered.

".........You want me to be a housemate?" Harriet gasped as she looked up at Severus in disbelief, not daring to utter the presumptive word "housewife".