Chapter 6 - Stirring the Cauldron

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Severus sought to hide his and Harriet's awkward interaction at breakfast under a cumbersome pile of work.

Harriet had arrived on Thursday and the first  classes of the new academic year started on Monday.

The prefects had already come to the castle but the rest of the students wouldn't arrive for two more days, which meant that Severus and Harriet had a bit of time alone.

That seemed to annoy Severus to an intolerable degree.

Throughout the day Friday, from immediately after breakfast until nearly midnight, Harriet found herself buried under vast amounts of various menial tasks that her new boss levied on her.

Harriet cleaned the chalkboard, she stocked supplies, she made copies of assignments, she sorted Severus's books........as soon as she finished one assignment, he had no issue finding another to replace it.

Severus had to admit, he was impressed by the fact that no matter what he asked of Harriet or how exhausting the duty was that she performed, she never complained.

"If only your work ethic had been this impeccable during your school years, you would have been a model student, Potter." Severus quipped later that evening as Harriet handed over the massive stack of letters that she had spent the better part of the previous two hours reviewing for him.

"I suppose you're right, sir." Harriet politely agreed.

Severus slowly placed the stack of parchment on the left side of his desk.

He was well aware that Harriet was standing in front of him, obediently waiting for him to dismiss her for the night.

Instead of letting her go, Severus chose to delay her departure from his side as he inquired, "May I ask what's changed?"

Harriet chuckled and shrugged her shoulders, "I dunno......the war? Perhaps maturity that comes with age? With all due respect, sir, I think everyone is rather different after the Battle.....you know, the-"

"-Yes, I know it very well." Severus interrupted her with a curt nod.

He wanted to keep Harriet lingering in his office longer, but he failed to find an adequate, believable reason that wouldn't appear obviously contrived.

"Will that be all then, sir?" Harriet asked respectfully.

"No, that will most certainly not be all, Potter! You have an entire year's worth of work ahead of you! Don't....think.....that I will drop my guard because you've provided me with a few hours of decent service." Severus snipped.

"Of course, sir." Harriet blinked, "Sorry....what I  meant to ask was, will that be all for tonight?"

Severus stared at Harriet with an unreadable expression. The alpha's dark eyes bored into hers as if he were both trying to communicate something and also trying to pry something from inside the confines of her mind.

Harriet shifted on her feet after a lengthy pause passed between them.

".........Yes." Severus replied finally, "That will be all for tonight, Potter."

Without saying another word, Harriet nodded, turned, and left the room.

Severus's gaze followed her until the door closed behind her.

Once Harriet had left, Severus stared after her for some time.

—————————————————————