Chapter 37 - Discoveries

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Britain's wizarding government took the utmost care with the tallying of the election votes.

Each ballot was counted, analyzed for fraud, and then recounted.

The process took three days to complete.

During that time, the Snapes lived their lives as if they had no knowledge of the event at all.

Harriet left the house on the third day after the election and traveled to Hogsmeade to purchase two new mortar bowls the family needed.

She had no trouble completing her errand quickly, although, unbeknownst to Severus, Harriet paused to make an extra stop.

Her shopping bag hung from her arm as she walked up the stone steps and entered an old building that stood on the busy street.

A sign hung over the establishment's front window that clearly read:

Hatley and Hail Midwifery
est. 1540 A.D.

—————————————————————

Harriet kept her appointment a secret from Severus for the rest of the day as she went about her business with a smug smirk on her lips.

Her new midwife had been kind enough to give her a scent-blocking balm that ensured her alpha's suspicions wouldn't be aroused prematurely until after she had the chance to deliver the news to him herself.

Harriet had covered her pulse points in the velvety salve before she purchased a couple of special ingredients from the magical farmer's market.

Mrs. Snape intended to prepare a delicious dinner that evening.

Harriet's efforts were hardly enough though, Severus Snape was often a difficult person to deceive.

While he could be extremely gullible at times, his dark eyes narrowed to slits as he watched his wife smile to herself while she moved around the kitchen early that evening.

".......Why aren't you using magic?" Severus questioned Harriet after he spent several minutes observing her.

Harriet blinked up at him as she asked, "What......?"

"Why aren't you using magic....to cook the meal?" Severus asked suspiciously.

Harriet replied with a shrug and a grin, "Because I want dinner to be special. Magic won't be the same as me making it by hand, will it?"

"........May I ask the reason for the occasion?" Severus inquired as he rose to his feet and swept through the living room to come closer.

Behind him, Disencan played with Maggie on the floor.

"The election's over." Harriet replied with a flimsy lie.

She spoke a fact, yes, but that wasn't the real reason why she had gone to extra lengths for the evening's dinner.

Severus stared at her with a disapproving scowl until she laughed under the intensity of his black gaze and lifted her hands, "..........Is that not true?"

"It is........" He agreed in his low drawl.

When Harriet turned to the sink, Severus glided up behind her to purr in her ear, ".....Though I can hardly be less than suspicious.....my love.......about why you've concealed your scent from me?"

Harriet's emerald eyes widened.

She whirled around to stare up into Severus's face as she scowled defensively, "I-I haven't concealed anything! What are you talking about?!"