Chapter 8 - An Omega in Distress

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Silence fell in the hallway after Harriet's unexpected statement.

The Chosen One shattered two alphas by uttering a single sentence.

"Oh......" Elion fumbled, clearly shocked that his generous offer had been rejected, "Do forgive me, then, Miss Potter."

"Don't be silly, there's nothing to forgive." Harriet replied kindly with a gentle smile as she knocked on Severus's door again.

Knock, knock, knock.

"I don't know why he's not answering." Harriet frowned at Elion worriedly.

"Perhaps he's asleep?" Elion asked with a shrug.

His mind was spinning too quickly to care much about Severus.

"Perhaps....." Harriet mused. She kept her frown while she added, "I'll come back later and try again. He did tell me to bring him the quizzes once classes were over though...."

Harriet bent down and slipped the parchments under the door.

Harriet didn't know, but Severus stood on the other side, with his teeth grit and his heart broken as she slipped the documents into the space he called his living room.

How Severus longed to wrench the door open, grab her hand, and pull her inside, but he couldn't!

Harriet belonged to another......another that he didn't know and she hadn't mentioned.

As his broken hopes crashed around him, Severus wondered silently.

.........Were they happy together, Harriet and her mate?

Was he kind to her?

On the other side of the door, while Harriet was fulfilling her duty of delivering the quizzes to Severus, Elion didn't miss the opportunity to stare at her round bottom before she straightened back up and sighed with a heavy heart.

After Severus heard Harriet and Elion leave, he picked up the parchments and held the ends of them to his nose.

Not there, not there, not there...There!

He detected the faint trace of Harriet's scent from the area on the papers that she had been holding in her warm palm.

Severus resisted the urge to whimper as he rubbed that area of the parchments, that Harriet had accidentally scented, against one of the pillows on his bed.

Severus hated wasting his time in an attempt to soothe his wounded spirit, but after he was finished, he laid with that pillow, and breathed in Harriet's scent.

It helped to calm his pesky, raging instincts as he clung to the pillow that carried the smell of the one he desired most.

Severus felt it was pathetic, but alone in his chambers, he didn't really care.

He would take any scrap of Harriet that he could get, especially since he knew that he would never have her to himself.

—————————————————————

Harriet returned later that night and twice the next day to Severus's door.

Each time, she knocked and waited in the hallway for the greeting that never came.

Severus ignored her.

He chose to stay and sulk bitterly inside his rooms.

Severus didn't have much of a choice until the potion was complete. He couldn't safely open the door and see her standing there, staring up at him with those eyes......her eyes.......while he was still in his rut.