Chapter 41 - Ancient Lullaby

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Kinglsey withdrew his wand as Severus rushed over to the desk and picked the rabbit up by the ample scruff of its thick neck.

A carefully cast spell from the Minister of Magic removed the book from the fire.

As the aged volume hovered in the air while Kingsley attempted to perform a flame-reversing charm, Severus glared at the rabbit.

The rabbit glared back at him with its single eye.

"You have my sincerest apologies, Minister." Severus assured Kingsley while he listened to the happy laughter from the next room as Harriet rose from her nest and lifted Maggie out of her cot.

"Accidents happen, Severus." Kinglsey nodded.

The flames' damage was slowly undone, page by page, as he used the charm to leaf through the ancient book.

Despite his kindness, Kinglsey narrowed his eyes as he added, "Be a bit more careful with pets around the Ministry's older books, Severus. We're fortunate my charm worked....The group of hand-written records this volume contains makes it irreplaceable."

"Believe me, Minister...." Severus said as he glowered at the rabbit, "It won't happen again."

—————————————————————

That evening, after the Snape family returned home, Maggie lay asleep in her nursery while Harriet took a long bath.

Severus resisted the urge to join his bride as he silently glided into his daughter's nursery.

The massive bunny slept next to Maggie but Severus wore a frown as he stood beside the cot and watched the animal warily.

His dark wand glinted in the dim light of the room's small lamp as he pointed it towards the rabbit and whispered in his low voice, "Levicorpus".

The rabbit's single eye popped open in surprise as it felt itself being lifted from its sleeping place and into the air.

Severus watched the creature scowl at him as he floated the rabbit out of Maggie's nursery, down the hallway, and into the abandoned living room.

"You and I have much to discuss." Severus whispered to the rabbit while he gently sat it down on the floor as he lowered his wand.

The bunny held its vicious glare for a moment until Severus mirrored its expression, pointed his wand at the rabbit, and murmured an incantation.

A burst of blue light shot forth from the tip of Severus's wand and crashed into the rabbit.

The blast knocked the animal back, but caused no injury and offered no reveals.

Severus's pale face fell into a deep frown as he watched the bunny shake off the unwelcome impact.

He remained unconvinced about the spell's findings.

"That's twice now you've been able to endure the Animagus reversal spell without revealing yourself." Severus drawled as he furrowed his brow at the rabbit, "How is that possible?......Why are you hiding?.....I'm no fool......Clearly, there must have been a reason, a motivation, an intention........some explanation as to why you tossed the book into the fire?"

The rabbit narrowed its eye at Severus.

He frowned as he went on, "You should feel fortunate that becoming a father has made me a more merciful man.....I am once again giving you the opportunity to abandon your deceptive disguise and state your business with my family."