Chapter 2 - The Unruly Patient

Thank you for reading! Please let me know if you enjoy! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Soon after the need for Severus's dismissal was announced, his nurse returned with his discharge paperwork and a pamphlet that she handed to Harriet.

Harriet blinked as she reached out and took the documents and the pamphlet while the nurse explained to her and Severus, "Mr. Snape, you really shouldn't sit up or stand for at least a week. The healer said that eating and drinking will put too much pressure on your wound, so you two will need to use the listed caregiver charms for the next seven days, alright? After that, sitting up and swallowing should be feasible."

"When will he be able to speak again?" Harriet asked the nurse.

While she and the nurse conversed, Severus's black eyes flickered back and forth between them.

The nurse shrugged, "That depends on how long his injury takes to heal. It may be two weeks, it may be two months."

Severus's heart sank.

Harriet nodded with grim acceptance, "Alright then, thanks."

The nurse nodded at Harriet and glanced over at Severus as she added, "I'm terribly sorry, but we really do need the room. Would you like me to bring a wheelchair for him?"

"I thought he shouldn't sit up?" Harriet questioned.

"He can sit or stand for a moment while you transport him, just not for long periods of time." The nurse nodded.

"Oh....." Harriet replied as she looked at Severus then back at the nurse, "Can you give us a moment? We'll be on our way, but we need to decide where that is first."

"Of course." The nurse said with a tense, polite smile which silently conveyed her annoyance that Harriet and the injured alpha weren't leaving immediately.

The nurse left the room and Harriet turned to Severus.

The expression on his face was unreadable as he gazed back at her from his hospital bed.

"I know that I'm the last person you want to look after you, headmaster...." Harriet said very seriously, "....but I believe I'm the only option you have."

Severus blinked at his former student.

Harriet was right and he knew it.

The Malfoys were probably his only remaining friends and they were too busy trying to avoid Azkaban at the moment to care for him.

Severus Snape had no family.

Severus Snape was largely alone in the world.

That was one thing that he and Harriet had in common.

".....The only problem is that I don't know where to take you." Harriet continued, "The castle's in chaos.......I don't have an apartment. I don't think the Weasleys are in the mood for a house guest......since they've just lost a son."

Harriet noticed the questioning remorse that crept into Severus's dark eyes when he heard that one of the Weasley boys had been killed.

The anguished look on Severus's face surprised her.

".......Fred." Harriet nodded.

Severus pursed his lips and for a moment, Harriet was certain she saw sadness darken his face, but she changed the subject.

"Do you have anywhere we could go, headmaster?" She asked.

As Severus began to rustle around in his bed, Harriet raced over to his side.