Chapter 42 - Severus Snape, Minister for Magic

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Kingsley's date to leave office soon arrived and Severus's training ended.

He and Harriet both rose before dawn that morning to prepare for their busy day.

Disencan had agreed to care for Maggie and Rabbie, which alleviated some stress for the couple.

Harriet smiled at her husband while they sat at the dining table and ate their breakfast.

An anticipatory anxiousness permeated the air as the morning's first rays of sunlight threatened to break across the dark sky outside.

"You're going to be brilliant, don't worry, Sev." Harriet reassured her husband as she reached across the table and took his hand into hers.

Severus said nothing for a moment as he chose to focus his black stare on Harriet.

"Never mind the day's later events." He spoke in his low drawl as he glanced down to take another bite of his food before he lifted his eyes back to Harriet and added, "You know well enough our true priority."

Mrs. Snape beamed as a happy smile spread across her lips.

Although Severus would become the most powerful man in magical Britain that afternoon, he shrugged the matter aside as if it were nothing as he spoke of her midwife appointment that had been scheduled for the morning.

It filled Harriet's heart with unbridled joy that she had the privilege of loving a man who valued her and their children above all else.

—————————————————————

Harriet and Severus walked hand in hand down the street as they journeyed to the midwife's office.

People whispered as they passed by, but Severus paid them little attention as he focused his thoughts on his wife and baby.

Half an hour later, as the sun rose to announce the joy of a new day, Severus held his mate's hand while she laid on the midwife's table.

The door to their examination room had been closed while the midwife inspected her patient with skillful hands and a stern frown of concentration.

Severus wore a similar expression as he watched the healthcare provider perform her work.

He waited impatiently for an update on his wife and child's health, but he tried not to show his anxiousness to Harriet as he soothingly rubbed the back of her knuckles with his fingers.

After the midwife finally finished her study of Harriet, she nodded at the couple with a pleased smile as she announced, "The pregnancy appears to be going quite well! Both of you should be very pleased! I must say, Mr. Snape, I'm certain it will give the people of our world confidence to know that the new Minister for Magic is a kind man who takes painstaking care of his pregnant wife."

Severus tried not to let himself bristle with repressed pride as he straightened his spine while he shifted in his chair.

Harriet glanced over at Severus as she laid a hand on the small swell of her belly while the midwife asked, "Would you two prefer to know the gender?"

As Severus glanced over at Harriet, she laughed at the wan expression on his face.

She looked back at the midwife and chuckled, "Thanks, but I suppose we'll wait until the birth. Happy surprises, you know...." Harriet shrugged.

The midwife smiled slyly at the couple as she asked, "....Would you two like to know how many happy surprises you'll receive?"

Harriet blinked.