Chapter 46 - Old Magic

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

The next months seemed to pass by for Severus with the usual amount of excitement an expectant father and new Minister for Magic would anticipate.

Gradually, the Snape family became accustomed to the daily rhythm set in place by Severus's prestigious position.

Maggie and Harriet adapted rather well to their new lifestyle.

Both mother and daughter thoroughly enjoyed the moments they shared cuddling and playing in the private room attached to Severus's office whenever Harriet was not busy.

Every day, Severus began his duties by sorting through the pile of mail he personally received.

Harriet often helped him, but one particular morning, she tended Maggie while he started the task of sorting the day's parcels.

He opened and replied to letter after letter.

Unfortunately, that morning's last letter had been sent to Minister Snape looking for a reply that could not be written in ink.

As soon as he slit the innocent-looking parcel open, a sticky slime oozed out across his hands in furling swirls of creeping, black muck.

Severus's eyes widened in horrified shock.

He hastily cast a protective charm on himself and his office, but when he noticed the slightest hint of moisture lingered on his fingers, he rose from his desk and glided towards the door.

Harriet stepped out from the secondary room in time to watch her husband hurry across his office as she raised her eyebrows and asked, "Sev, what's the matter?.....Where are you going?"

"We need to contact the Department of Magical Law Enforcement immediately to open an investigation against that letter lying on my desk." Severus explained as he reached a hand out and grabbed the doorknob.

Harriet took a single, curious step towards the letter until Severus cried out, "DON'T TOUCH IT!"

"Why not?" She asked with a scowl, "Keep your voice down, you'll wake Maggie. She's fallen back asleep."

"The wretched parcel contained a poisonous enchantment!" Severus frowned at Harriet, "I've done what I can to insulate us, however, I fear it may not be enough protection."

"..........What?" Harriet gasped in disbelief.

Severus bluntly revealed the truth as Harriet felt her heart anxiously skip a beat, "We've been cursed, my love."

—————————————————————-

The Minister for Magic's office was thrown into an uproar as aurors rushed to collect the letter, discover its secrets, and find its sender.

The aurors worked with a team of visiting healers to examine Severus, his pregnant wife, and his young daughter in hopes of attaining certainty that his enchantment had acted as a sufficient shield against the Dark Magic that had targeted the family.

Harriet felt relieved once she, Severus, and Maggie were finally released to go home later that day, but Severus kept a tight scowl on his face.

"I've never seen anything like that." Harriet mused while the Snape family shared their dinner together.

Disencan frowned as he listened.

".........The letter?" Severus asked in his low drawl as he let his fork graze his food but failed to lift a bite to his mouth.