Chapter 78 - A Family In Need

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Despite Harriet's delay, the Snapes arrived outside of Malfoy Manor exactly on time.

Severus proudly stood with his family as he reached out and knocked on the door.

Little Sev blinked but Maggie fidgeted in her chair while she waited.

She hid it well from her parents as she struggled not to burst with excitement.

A moment later, the massive front door opened as a small, cowering house elf peered out.

"Finanns, away from there!" The Snapes heard a voice hiss as someone shoved the house elf aside.

Harriet took a deep breath as the door opened wider and she found herself staring at Lucius, Narcissa, Draco, and Scorpius.

"Good evening, Severus." Lucius greeted his old friend with a fond smile before he turned to nod at Harriet, "..........And Mrs. Snape."

"Good evening, Lucius." Severus drawled.

"Good evening." Harriet said with forced politeness as she glanced at each of the Malfoys, "These are our children, Maggie and Little Sev. Maggie, Little Sev, this is Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy.....and Mr. Malfoy"

"How do you do?" Maggie asked the three adults before her bright, emerald eyes settled on Scorpius.

"Hello!" Little Sev chirped with a happy smile.

"So good of you all to accept our invitation, won't you come in?" Lucius asked as he gestured welcomingly to the inside of his large estate.

Harriet and Severus exchanged brief glances before the Snape family entered Malfoy Manor.

While Harriet tried to ignore the traumatic memories invoked by walking through the house, she couldn't help but notice the Snapes appeared to be the Malfoys' only guests for the evening.

————————————————————

The children followed the adults as Lucius led the way to the parlor.

Draco remained silent.

Narcissa chatted politely with Harriet, but Lucius gladly took the opportunity to reconnect with his old friend as he asked, "I trust you and your family are doing well, Severus?"

"I have no complaints." Severus replied, "And yourself? It's been several years, Lucius....Forgive me, I should have written."

"The true fault lies with me." Lucius responded, "We have been rather busy these last years.......for various reasons, though I should have reached out to you sooner."

Severus had always respected Lucius for his skill and wealth.

While they walked, he remembered more than one occasion during which Lucius had defended him from the Marauders.

It seemed odd to Severus to think he had managed to achieve a fragment of his friend's prestige.

Harriet's fortunes combined with Severus's earned savings were at least equal to the Malfoys' money.

Although their many different companies continued to be successful, the Malfoy name had suffered a serious popularity hit after the war had exposed them for openly supporting fascism.

While Lucius had fallen from grace, Severus had become Minister for Magic.

Behind the adults, Little Sev kept to himself as Scorpius and Maggie eagerly chatted.