Chapter 72 - Missing Maggie

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Harriet knew something wasn't quite right when she woke the next morning and found Little Sev weeping at his father's feet while her husband scowled down at a piece of parchment as his quill flew across the page in hurried but elegant written lines.

Disencan blinked at Harriet from the kitchen with wide eyes as he finished the breakfast preparations.

Harriet nodded politely at the elf before she looked at her husband and son while she cleared her throat.

Severus continued his work.

Little Sev's mournful sobbing droned on.

"I hate to interrupt you both." Harriet scowled as she crossed her arms, "But would someone mind telling me what exactly is going on?"

"Our son is weeping and I am drafting a letter." Severus drawled very matter-of-factly without glancing up.

Harriet groaned in frustration before she bent down toward their youngest child and asked, "Sweetheart, what's the matter? Why are you crying?"

"I........." Little Sev sobbed while he wiped his eyes, "Mummy, I........"

Harriet frowned when her small son broke off into another wailing sob as Severus furrowed his brow.

"Hey......" She whispered as she stroked Little Sev's dark hair, "It's alright, love, you can tell me......What's the matter? Why are you crying?"

"Oh, Mummy......" Little Sev sighed in a shuddering gasp as he wiped his eyes, "I just........I miss her so much!"

Harriet blinked as he covered his face with his hands as another brutal sob wracked his chest.

"Your sister......?" Harriet asked.

Little Sev didn't bother taking his hands away but he nodded vehemently as Harriet cooed and scooped him into her lap as she sat on the floor, "Oh, sweetheart.....it's alright. Come here.....calm down now, it's alright."

"No, it's not alright!" Little Sev insisted as he buried his face in the crook of Harriet's neck, "She's gone! She's been with me everyday since I was born and now she's gone! How is it ever going to be alright again, Mummy?!"

Severus coldly answered his son, "Your sister will return for the holidays once Hogwarts' winter recess begins."

The idea of waiting months to see Maggie again elicited a mournful shriek from Little Sev.

Harriet scowled at her husband's lack of tact before she quipped, "Who are you writing so early? We could have gone ahead and moved to your office for you to start work."

"I have no need to be in my office to draft a letter of resignation." Severus answered dryly.

Harriet's eyes widened as a gasp escaped her throat.

With Little Sev clutched against her, she clambered to her feet and shot back, "Sorry, I don't think I heard you correctly, Sev.....?"

"No, I'm certain you heard me perfectly well." Severus said calmly as he finally completed his work, sat his quill down, and looked at his wife.

"You're........You're stepping down?" Harriet scowled, "You just woke up with this in your mind and decided not to ask me first?"

"If you notice, my love....." Severus drawled, "I made no mention of mailing the letter, I have merely drafted it. Perhaps you and I may discuss the matter in depth later today......" His black eyes flickered to Little Sev for a moment before he glanced back at Harriet, ".........Or this evening?"