Chapter 90 - Family

Start from the beginning

Severus's thin lips twisted into a sneer as he answered, "Good morning, Mr. Malfoy......I trust you've already found a compartment to share with your Gryffindor housemates?"

"Dad!" Maggie whispered.

"Actually, I came early to claim the only one wide enough for Maggie's chair." Scorpius nodded.

Maggie gasped as a happy smile crossed her face at Scorpius's thoughtfulness.

"Let's go, Maggie!" He smiled at his friend, "I've placed my trunk on the seat, but I can't promise that'll hold it forever. Plenty of people are still searching for private cars!" He explained as he nodded at the Snapes.

Before Scorpius absconded with Maggie, Severus cast his daughter one last, calculating stare as he whispered in her mind, "Remember my suggestion about finding other friends, my darling. Write to your mother and I should you need anything."

"Thanks, Dad!" Maggie called as she turned around to wave once more while Scorpius helped her onto the train.

"What's the matter, Dad?" Little Sev asked as he watched his father glare ominously at the Hogwarts Express until it departed.

To Severus's dismay, he discovered his daughter's compartment must have been on the opposite side of the tracks.

As the Hogwarts Express passed by on its way out of the train station, he saw neither Maggie nor Scorpius in any of the windows.

Severus turned to glance at Draco before his black eyes flickered to his son.

"Nothing's the matter......Come along, your mother waits for our return." He said as he began to drag Little Sev away from the platform.

"You're gritting your teeth." Little Sev frowned.

"I'm very cold." Severus lied.

"But it's not cold today." Little Sev observed, "What's the matter, Dad? Are you angry with me?"

"No, son." Severus said honestly as he frowned at his little boy, "I'm not angry with you........in the least."

—————————————————————

"Here we are!" Scorpius declared as he escorted Maggie to the special train compartment, "I think this is a bit roomier than the ones we've had before."

"Oh, definitely, this is brilliant, Scorpius!" Maggie said with a happy smile as she easily maneuvered her chair inside the wide door, "Where has this been hiding from us?! I've never seen this one!"

Scorpius shrugged, "It's quite a long train. We haven't really had the chance to explore it from end to end on our two previous trips."

"I suppose you're right." Maggie smiled, "Well, anyway, it's lovely! Thanks!"

Scorpius nodded with a beaming smile on his face, gleeful beyond measure that Maggie seemed pleased.

The seat's shortened bench made it easy for her to find a comfortable spot.

Scorpius nodded as he sat across from her, conveniently deciding to leave out the fact that his father had called ahead and made arrangements with the magical train's engineer.

The Malfoys' influence and wealth had successfully purchased a compartment suited to Scorpius's darling's needs.

"You know........I don't think your Dad likes me very much." Scorpius confessed once the train began its long journey.

"Of course he does!" Maggie insisted, "He's just a bit.....broody, that's all."

As they moved on to discuss other subjects, Scorpius and Maggie both held silent secrets from each other.