I Don't Hate You

“What are you doing here?” Her father-in-law shouted as he saw me.

“You are still the same,” I smirked. 

“Calm down please, she is the one who took Rishi back,” her mother-in-law said.

“I am suspicious that she is the one who kidnapped him,” he fumed venom.

“I had enough of you,” I shouted back. “How does your family tolerate you,” he raised his hand to slap me but I grabbed his hand and pushed him onto the ground.

“Ravi, what are you doing?” my father shouted while helping him to get up.

“You should be the one who slapped him that day instead of abandoning me,” this was the first time I raised my voice at him. “What will you do now? Are you planning to disown your grandson as well because he was raped?” I asked her father-in-law.

“What the hell are you talking about? How he could be raped? He is a boy.”

“Deal with this shit yourself.”  

“You are not my daughter, I never raised you like this.”

“You are not the one who raised me,” I shouted. 

“Papa please at least hear her.”

“There is nothing to hear. I am telling you she kidnapped your child to take revenge on us.”

“I am not you, who could destroy people's lives. If you don’t believe me, I don’t care.” 

Rishi started crying, hearing us fighting. “Dada ji don’t shout at her. She saved me from bad people. She was with the police.” Seema took him in her arms and took him into the room.

“I am waiting only to hear your answer. Are you planning to disown him? If yes, I’ll take him with me so that he doesn't have to rot in foster care.”

“Why would I disown him?”

“Then why did you force my father to disown me?” I asked.

“Papa, what is she saying? Did he force you to disown Ravi? Ravi didn’t run away with some guy.” Seema asked as she came 

No one utters a word. I chuckled, breaking the silence. “For a double-faced man like him, you cut all the ties with me.” I went near her father-in-law and shouted, “Disown him, otherwise what will people say that your grandson slept with men? You can’t continue your relationship with a tainted boy like him.”

He kneeled on the ground and joined his hand. “Please forgive me.”

I looked at my father, his eyes were filled with tears. “History repeats itself, a few years ago my father was at your feet begging you to not break the marriage. But you demanded to disown me now when it comes to you, you are not disowning your grandson. Disown him please otherwise by tomorrow your house will be filled with the camera and the news will go viral that your grandson was raped.”

“Please don’t do this, he is a child. He grabbed my legs. Don’t tell anyone about this, his life will be ruined.”

“And what about my life? Was it not ruined?” I looked at my father, “Papa you disown me under societal pressure. This is your society?” I pointed at the man who was at my feet. “This is its standard. You disown me for the society which can never be anyone’s.” I wiped my tears.

“Get up mister, don’t make my feet dirty.”

“Please forgive me, Ravi,” my father folded his hands in front of me. I held his hand and gave him a cheque of two lahks. “Your money with interest.”

“Please forgive me,” he said while giving it back.

“You did nothing wrong dad, anyone could do the same if he was in your shoes,” I said looking at Seema’s father-in-law. “Treat Rishi well, he is a victim, not a culprit. I should get going.”

“Don’t go please.”

“You are not in a position to stop me,” I said to my father.

“Ravi please stay,” Seema requested while hugging me.

“I don’t belong to  here di,” I break the hug.

“Please tell me where you live? Did you marry anyone?”

“You don’t deserve to know,” I calmly said, facing my father. “This is the last time you see me. Make sure I never see any of your faces back in my life.”

“You hate us that much,” my father sobbed.

“I had never hated you, papa… It's just I don’t want to surround myself with the people who will choose their stupid pride over humanity.” I kneeled in front of Seema’s father-in-law, “I feel bad for Rishi. I wished you were there at his place.” I got up and said to my sister, “Take him to the hospital without worrying about this stupid society and make sure he will overcome his trauma.”