Love

I locked the door and looked at Sagar’s apartment. He was watching me and as I had eye contact with him, he shut the door on my face. That’s it, I guess I’ll never meet him again. 

He is a nice guy so don’t want to add suffering to his life. He is also alone like me but he has a life and at least he can fall in love with someone and I don’t want that someone to be me. 

I sighed and sat in the back seat. The traffic was terrible. After a drive of an hour, I finally came to my new residence. I was too tired to unpack and I was hungry, so I asked the driver to take me to a nearby restaurant where I offered him to have food with me. We had our brunch and he took his leave after dropping me back at my place.

The apartment was a basic one BHK. I’m glad that I do not have to clean the whole house. I entered the kitchen and it had similar tiles that we had in our home. Our home… ‘‘Do you like this house?” Abimanyu asked me.

“Very much,” I giggled. “Abhi don’t you think we should invite your father, when will you tell him about our marriage?”

“Please don’t talk about him, I’m in a good mood. Anyway, it doesn’t matter to them whether I’m married or not and I also don’t want to meet him. When I was young, he never gave me his time after my mother died. He put me in a hostel and the only thing he did to me was send money. I have this intuition that he has married some other women after my mother’s death.”

“There is nothing wrong with marrying again. Maybe he feels lonely after your mother's death. I want you to marry a nice girl if I pass away.”

He put his hand on my mouth, “Don’t talk about death. I have worked very hard to make you mine and I’ll not let you die before me.” He said and pecked my lips. This was the first time I kissed him back. I broke the kiss after feeling his tears on my face. 

“Are you crying?”

“No,” he pulled me into his embrace and deepened the kiss. “If it is a dream I don’t want to wake up,” he said, hugging me.

My eyes were filled with tears, I came out of the kitchen and unpacked my bag. My eyes landed on the jewellery box, I opened it and touched my Mangalsutra. We had a registrar marriage in Ahmedabad when I turned eighteen and he was twenty-one at that time. 

The marriage was not out of love, I did have some feelings for him but I was not sure if it was love or anything else. I had to leave the hostel after I turned eighteen and I had nowhere to go. Abhi proposed to me to be his girlfriend but I rejected him many times thinking that he was not serious about me. 

I was wiping my tears when I got the notice to leave the hostel. He saw me and asked why I was crying. I was very upset so I told him everything. “Stay with me,” he said.

“Have you lost your mind, how could I stay with you?”

“Marry me, Ravi,” he said, wiping my tears. “I am serious… Marry me… I love you. I will keep you happy forever.”

“See I have no time for this bulsit, I need to find a job and…” He put his finger on my lips, “What is the problem? I know you like me too but why are you pushing me away from you.”

“Marriage is not a joke.”

“I already told you that I’m serious. I have been in love with you since the day you helped me. I promise that I’ll keep you happy, I will stay by your side forever. I’ll be the best husband in the world. I’ll do as you say, I’ll ruin the world if you say. Just name what you wish for and it’ll be yours. I promise I’ll love only you till my last breath. Please give me a chance.”