New Year

I noticed that three of the children had lost their fingers and this deepened my suspicions. I noticed the ticket collector and came down. “I need to talk with you,” I said and took him aside to the AC coach which was a thousand times more peaceful than the general one.

“I am a senior inspector in Mumbai police, I am following a man who is sitting on seat no 48 with eight children. He is a kidnapper, I need his details, where he will finish his journey.”

“He is going to Pune,” he told me after checking his file which has details of his tickets.

“One more thing, can you clear seat no 51? It would be easy for me to check on him.” He nodded. “Thank you for your cooperation, please make sure that you do not tell about this mission to anyone.” 

“You can rely upon me,” he said.

I came back to my seat and lay down. I was sleepy because I didn’t get enough sleep for over a week. I decided to talk with the man when most of the local passengers got off the train. At first, he tried to ignore me but I know how to grab attention. 

“I am going to be a star, I am going to Pune where my audition is going to happen. My boyfriend find a director who will launch me.”

He smirked and asked, “Do your parents allow you to go?”

“No,” I said in low voice, “But I am sure they will be happy when they saw me on the big screen,” I cheered up.

“I also know a director, I can help you if you want.”

“Can you?” I asked mocking him. “I don’t want to say… You look kind of broke. Are these children with you?” He nodded.

“How can you be a friend with a director? Look at them, they look cold.”

“They are not my children. They are orphans, I am helping them to get a role in the movie. Hey, Monu tells her,” He stares at a child.

“Yes,” the child said unwillingly.

“Really? Can you help me?”

“You can come with me,” he offered.

“I will meet with my boyfriend first then we will meet you. Where we should meet?”

“Meet me tomorrow at Bund garden at 7 in the evening,” he said. The smirk on his face was enough to tell me that he believed, he won the lottery. He asked about my parents and tried to scratch all information from me. The children look disappointed. Don’t worry kiddos I will help you to meet your parents back.

“I am sleepy,” I said yawning.

“Don’t worry, I’ll wake you when we reach Pune,” he smiled.

I look at the time it was 11:59. Just in a minute 2001 will start but nothing will change. The crimes, the criminals and my life. I chucked and closed my eyes.

He woke me when we reached Pune. A man in his late forties came to pick him up. I took an auto and followed them. The car stopped in front of a residential complex and a security guard opened the door for them. The area was secure and it was evident that the guard will not let me in. I can’t jump from the wall because it was at a height. 

I decided to wait at the door two hours passed and neither that man nor the driver came out. I noticed another car with children entering the complex. I need help, I thought.

I wished I had my phone with me. I took another auto and came to the nearby police station. “Who is the in-charge?” I asked as I entered.

“Mr. Surya Deshmukh,” the guard said.

“Take me to him, I am from IB,” I said.

“We got the lead that child trafficking is happening in the residential apartment of Mahananda,” I said to Surya Deshmukh, “Prepare the force, we need to catch them ASAP.” 

I took five officers with me and Mr. Surya Deshmukh was calling for backup. When we reached there I asked the security guard where those children from the car were headed to.

Luckily they were unarmed so without any casualty, those men were caught. There were twenty children there and they kidnapped them from different parts to sell them. I decided to go quietly after the children were saved.