Chapter 80 - Hogwarts

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I do." Harriet nodded.

"Whatever post McGonagall will grant me, headmaster or professor, I wish for you to remain at my side, just as you did before Maggie's birth." Severus purred.

He watched in fascination as the veil of doubtful dread vanished from Harriet's expression.

A bright smile lit up her fair face as she asked, "...........Do you mean that, Sev?"

"Of course I do." Severus replied before he took another bite.

With Harriet's qualms put to rest, she and Severus journeyed to the Ministry after they finished their meal and turned in his notice of resignation together, as a team.

—————————————————————-

"Severus, how good to see you!" McGonagall cried as she welcomed her old friend back to her office one February afternoon.

Severus greeted the headmistress with a polite nod as he glided over and sat down in the chair across from her desk.

"I must say, I was quite excited when I recieved your letter!" McGonagall smiled, "It does come as a shock though, you've served the Ministry well for so many years, may I ask what's prompted you to step down now?"

"There are several factors, though they are all related to my family." Severus answered cryptically.

"Oh........" McGonagall blinked, "Harriet.....Is she..........?"

Severus scowled as he hurriedly shook his head, "No.......We've put the possibility of family expansion behind us, Minerva, and chosen instead to focus on the two children we have been gifted. As my daughter continues her Hogwarts education and my son joins her, I would prefer to be available to them instead of the public as a whole."

McGonagall nodded silently in understanding.

"With your assistance......I had hoped to find employment at the castle once more." Severus slowly revealed.

"Employment?! Severus, of course!" McGonagall exclaimed.

He cautiously continued the conversation, "May I ask what positions are currently open?" He frowned as he spoke, "If teaching is not an option, I could easily work as a treasurer or a-"

"-If you'll agree, Severus..." McGonagall nodded, "I would have you take over my own post........at least for the foreseeable future."

Severus hadn't actually expected it to be that easy.

"I beg your pardon, Minerva?" He asked with an incredulous scowl.

"Severus...." McGonagall sighed as she mirrored his expression, "There's many days I end up in my rooms hours before the sun sets. The hustle and bustle has started to wear on me, though I may be able to manage a part-time teaching career still.......Regardless, the headmistress' duties are becoming overwhelming at my age. I'm not sure how Dumbledore kept up all those years."

As Severus stared at his friend, he noticed just how weary she seemed.

McGonagall had gained many wrinkles during the last decade.

Her hair had lost nearly all of its remaining colour and her eyes had sunken.

Severus silently wondered if his resignation from public office hadn't come at an opportune time for his friend.

"As long as that is your decision, Minerva......I will respect it." Severus nodded, "However, please know it is not my wish to bully my way in or to remove you from your post."

"Oh, Severus! Of course not!" McGonagall scowled, "Hogwarts will be glad for your return, as will I!"

"Forgive me for not mentioning it at first, however, I do desire to keep my wife at my side. She acted as my assistant before.....Our working relationship went surprisingly well." Severus drawled.