Chapter 78 - A Family In Need

Start from the beginning

"It's so good to see you again!" Maggie smiled at her friend.

"It's really good to see you too." Scorpius smiled kindly, "......Are those new robes?"

"Yeah, they are!" Maggie nodded, "Do you like them?"

"They make your eyes look bright." Scorpius nodded, "You, er, I mean, your robes....are very pretty."

Maggie's cheeks blushed at Scorpius's slip of tongue.

He changed the subject before she could comment on his unfortunate mishap, "I'm excited that you've come tonight."

"I am too." Maggie nodded as she glanced around at the mansion's elegant walls, "You have a beautiful house."

Scorpius flung a startling bit of news at her as he smiled and added, "Thanks........Just think, in a few minutes, you'll get to meet my Mum!"

Maggie's heart dropped into the pit of her stomach.

"Your.......Mum?" She asked.

"Yeah, the house elves said they'll bring her down." Scorpius nodded, "Don't worry, she'll love you! She told me she can't wait to meet my best friend."

Maggie's throat went dry as an inexplicable wave of staggering nervousness swept over her.

It would be fine, Scorpius had met her parents, what did it matter?

Why should the idea of introducing herself to his mother make her anxious at all?

—————————————————————-

As the two families gathered in the mansion's vast parlor for refreshments and conversation, Harriet tried to avoid Draco as much as possible.

It relieved her to notice he seemed eager to ignore the party as he lurked in the corner with a frown.

While she held onto Severus's arm as she sipped her drink, she shot Draco scowl after disapproving scowl.

Pathetic and sniveling, just as he had been in the war.

Harriet supposed some people never changed.

Lucius and Narcissa were seasoned hosts and had no trouble involving Harriet and Severus in engaging conversation while the families waited for midnight.

At first, little Sev had been disappointed no other children were there, but to his delight, Scorpius warmly drew him into his chat with Maggie.

Already well-acquainted with the sting of loneliness himself, Scorpius didn't want his darling's younger brother to feel isolated or ignored.

Ten minutes until midnight, the party changed.

A clattering from the hallway caught everyone's attention.

As each person in the parlor blinked and looked over, a house elf appeared in the entryway as it pulled a chair much like Maggie's into the room.

Harriet frowned at the very slight woman who was revealed to the party once the house elf swung the chair around.

Her skin had lost most of its colour, her face was gaunt, and her thin hair had been gently combed.

Although the shadow of sickness lingered on her face, Harriet could easily see she had once been beautiful.

Lucius and Narcissa exchanged disapproving glances as if they were embarrassed by the woman's presence, but to Harriet's surprise, Draco rushed to her.

"Darling...." He spoke as he bent down to the woman in the chair, "Darling, are you alright? Are you too cold? You really shouldn't be out of bed."