Chapter 71 - The Sorting Hat Ceremony

Magsimula sa umpisa

Although the war had ended over a decade ago, Malfoy remained an unwelcome, ill-respected name amongst Gryffindors.

Severus glanced over at Harriet with a sad frown as she nodded and whispered, "He'll be alright, she'll join him soon."

Severus frowned at his wife.

"Maggie Snape!" McGonagall called out.

Maggie encountered her first setback since her arrival at the castle.

She narrowed her eyes as she wondered how she could get her chair onto the platform as she moved back and forth a moment.

The other first years stared at her quizzically before McGonagall nodded and hurried over, "Don't fret, my dear, don't fret, here, stay still and I'll guide you."

McGonagall pulled out her wand, but Severus acted too quickly.

Unable to sit idly by while he watched his daughter struggle, he swept over to his little girl and lifted her into his arms before Harriet realized he had moved at all.

Maggie usually loved her father carrying her, which made her words hurt his heart even more as she frowned and hissed in a whisper, "DAD! No, stop! Everyone's looking!"

Maggie was right.

Everyone was looking.

Unaccustomed to seeing someone in the wizarding world who could not use their legs, Maggie's plight and Severus's assistance spawned several, mean-spirited snickers as whispered taunts circled through the Great Hall.

After what seemed like an eternity to Maggie, her father finally sat her down on the stool and resumed his seat.

By then, she was close to tears of humiliation.

"QUIET DOWN, ALL OF YOU OR I'll BE TAKING HOUSE POINTS!" McGonagall snapped as the whispers crescendoed.

Her threat succeeded in stopping the jeers as she gazed at her students with a disappointed frown before she turned to Maggie with the Hat in her hands.

"Now then, Miss Snape...." She nodded.

Maggie blinked up at her for a moment before McGonagall plopped the Hat onto her head.

"Gryffindor." Harriet whispered to Severus.

"Slytherin." Severus whispered back in a barely audible tone.

The Hat needed little time to sort their daughter.

A second after their quiet exchange, it confidently called out, "RAVENCLAW!"

More whispers erupted throughout the room as a harsh pout formed on Maggie's lips.

Severus and Harriet glanced at each other in shock.

As they processed the Hat's decision, Harriet stared at her scowling husband and shrugged, "Alright, then.......Ravenclaw."

—————————————————————

After Maggie was helped back to her chair, she rolled all the way down the aisle until she came to pause at the very end of Ravenclaw's table.

Silently, she braced herself for the cruel remarks and the ugly sneers she knew she would certainly gather, but to her relief, none came.

The boys and girls who sat closest to the table's end blinked at her as she frowned back at them in silent response.

Her heart sank as she looked across the room at Scorpius, who sat at Gryffindor's table.

Although she wished her new friend would have found some company, it did provide Maggie with  a small bit of comfort to notice Scorpius also seemed to be an outsider in his new house as well.