Chapter 68 - Severus's Meeting

Start from the beginning

"The situation is difficult for you and I to understand, yes." Severus drawled, ".......Though I would beg you to see our daughter's reluctance as a sign of our own parental success."

Harriet scoffed and asked, ".......What do you mean?"

"You and I were both quite pleased to receive our letters, were we not?" Severus questioned.

"Of course I was...." Harriet smiled, "Sev, I was thrilled!"

Severus nodded, "And did either of us come from happy homes?"

"...........No." She admitted with a bitter frown, "No, we didn't."

Severus watched the realization dawn on his wife's face as she raised an eyebrow.

"You've been a wonderful mother, my love." Severus praised his mate as he pulled her close.

"And you've been a good father." Harriet complimented him as she cupped his face in her hands.

Severus and Harriet sought comfort in each other as they shared a deep kiss.

Maggie's letter had been deeply upsetting to both of her parents.

Neither Harriet nor Severus wanted their children to be frightened or sad.

—————————————————————

Later, as Mr. and Mrs. Snape returned home, they went about their evening as they would on any other night.

They ate dinner with their family, then sat around the hearth and chatted before they tucked their children into bed.

Severus and Harriet saw Little Sev off to sleep first before they went to Maggie's room.

They stood in the hallway as Severus raised his hand and gently knocked on her door.

"Come in." She called quietly.

Harriet followed her husband as he stepped into the room.

Maggie sat up in her bed with Rabbie lying on top of the covers beside her.

"Mum, Dad." Maggie frowned as she nodded at each of her parents.

"Hello, sweetheart." Harriet replied as she stepped in front of Severus and sat down on their daughter's bed.

Severus lingered behind his wife as he placed a supportive hand on her shoulder.

"Well........goodnight, I suppose." Maggie blinked.

"Your father and I want to talk to you about something first." Harriet revealed as she reached out and took one of their daughter's hands.

Severus raised his chin as he saw the visible anxiety on Maggie's face as she hastily asked, "O-Oh?.........W-What about?"

Her heart pounded with nervousness.

In a desperate attempt to somehow avoid what she imagined would be certain trouble, she blurted out, "Are you having another baby, Mum?"

Severus frowned.

"No, sweetheart." Harriet said with a bittersweet chuckle as she rubbed the back of Maggie's knuckles with her fingers, "I'm not having another baby, but it seems you're having a very hard time."

Severus and Harriet watched an unsure smile cross Maggie's lips as she answered, "I....I don't know what you mean. I'm fine........Everything's fine."

"Sweetheart......" Harriet frowned.

"As you know, I met Professor McGonagall for tea earlier today." Severus interjected as he gazed at their daughter.

"Yeah, Dad.....I know." Maggie shrugged.