Chapter 67 - Severus's Letter

Start from the beginning

Maggie had her mouth full as she flashed her mother a wry smile of feigned hopefulness.

As she swallowed and continued to eat, Severus watched his daughter's hand tremble while she raised her fork.

He narrowed his dark eyes as his suspicions grew.

—————————————————————

Maggie grit her teeth for the rest of the day while sweat dripped down the back of her neck.

One hour went by, then two.

No mail came.

She breathed a sigh of relief as she remained Hogwarts letter free that evening.

She had just finished her dinner when she noticed her brother heading into the living area, with a pale, red wax sealed envelope in his hand, similar to the one she had torn up the previous day.

What little colour Maggie's face held drained away as she approached Little Sev and snatched the letter from his grasp as she cried, "GIVE me that, brother!"

Little Sev's eyes widened at his sister's unexpected aggression. His mouth fell open while he thought of words to sling in retort, but Severus settled their battle before it began.

"What are you two arguing about?" His low drawl sounded as he glided up behind Maggie after he had witnessed his children's hostile exchange, "It's not like you two to quarrel."

Maggie gasped.

It was over, Severus had found out, he would read her letter and-

"The letter's for Dad!" Little Sev informed his sister with a menacing glare as Maggie shut her mouth and glanced at the envelope.

Severus Snape, Minister for Magic
The Cottage on the Outskirts of Hogsmeade
By the Forest, In Front of the Garden

"Oh........" Maggie said sheepishly as she turned and handed the letter to her father.

She nearly died of mortification as she glanced over her shoulder and understood Harriet had seen the entire event as well as she stood silently behind Severus.

Maggie threw her brother an apologetic glance before she focused her stare on her father as he opened the envelope with a finger and pulled out the letter it contained.

".......Dad?" Maggie asked urgently, "What does it say?"

A soft smile formed on Harriet's lips as she scanned the lines with her husband before he stuffed the letter back into the envelope and frowned at their children, "Professor McGonagall has requested I attend tea with her tomorrow morning. Apparently, Hogwarts wishes to have the Ministry review a recent matter."

Little Sev blinked, but Maggie threw her father a distrustful pout.

Harriet's soft smile faded as she gazed at her daughter's face.

Silently, she wished she had been able to master the art of Legilimency.

—————————————————————-

That evening, after everyone else in the house had gone to bed, Severus and Harriet lounged in the bath together while they enjoyed a private moment.

Harriet sighed as her husband held her in his lap and kissed across her breasts while her fingers knotted in his silky, black hair.

"Mmm, Sev......." She whispered breathlessly, "........I'm all out of sorts."

Severus immediately stopped and pulled back as he stared at Harriet, "What's the matter?....Have I hurt you, my love?"

"No, it's not that." She frowned as she shifted in the water. The motion drew a growl from Severus's throat while Harriet looked into his eyes and spoke, "It bothers me......Something's odd about this entire thing......this tea with McGonagall."

"Minerva and I....remain....on pleasant terms." He mused, "I'm certain you would be undoubtedly welcome to accompany me.......It's no secret that she's fond of you."

"No, no, it's not that." Harriet said with a dismissive wave of her hand, "Maggie's letter didn't show up on her birthday.....and it still hasn't. Now McGonagall wants to have tea with you? All of a sudden? To discuss some secret school business with the Ministry? Hogwarts has always disliked the Ministry interfering, it makes no sense!......And did you see Maggie today? What was that with Little Sev? What was that look on her face? Something's off, Sev, it's really off."

"Yes........" Severus replied in his low voice while he mirrored Harriet's expression, "I have similar suspicions myself."

"Can you not read her?" Harriet frowned.

"Read her?" He scowled.

"Yes.......With Legilimency?" Harriet blinked.

"You want me to use Legilimency on our daughter?" Severus scowled, "Do you not remember your Occlumency lessons from years ago? The mind is not a book to be opened and read at mere will. I will not violate our children's privacy in such a way."

"You read my thoughts." Harriet shrugged.

"You're my mate." Severus countered in his low voice, barely moving his lips.

"That makes it better, then?" Harriet asked while he let one of his pale fingertips trace the silvery lines of his wife's stretch marks.

"You belong to me." He purred as his black eyes flickered up to meet Harriet's gaze, ".....And I belong to you......Your thoughts, your fears, your wants, your hopes......"

Harriet bit her lip as Severus paused to knead one of her full breasts while he spoke, "Besides, I have little need to 'read' our daughter, her actions have told me enough."

"What do you mean?" Harriet asked with a shiver as Severus cruelly pinched her tightened nipple.

"Did you not notice her behaviour today? Nervous, anxious, unsettled.....And last night, when she suddenly scampered off to her room?" He asked.

Harriet tried to hold onto her thoughts as her husband began to skillfully palpate the sensitive gland in his grasp as if he were trying to draw milk from her.

"Y-Yes......." She stammered as she swallowed thickly.

"Taking McGonagall's request into consideration.....It wouldn't surprise me if our daughter already received her letter and sent it back." Severus scoffed.

"But...why?" Harriet asked as her mate began to kiss her breasts, "Everyone's excited for their.....aah!.....Hogwarts letter."

"Perhaps not everyone, my love." Severus whispered against her skin. He continued his sweet, loving affection as he went on, "Do not let it trouble you....Maggie is in no danger......I shall go to tea with McGonagall....We should endeavor to learn the truth before we confront her.......Don't you agree?"

Harriet gasped as her eyes widened once Severus took one of her rosy peaks into his mouth, "Y-Yes! S-Sev! SEV!"

As the water sloshed in the tub, she lost herself while Severus wrapped his strong arms around her lithe body.

Like many married omegas, Harriet often found herself pulled in many directions at once.

Her daughter clearly needed her as she struggled through what she thought or felt needed to be a private battle.

Regardless, Harriet found herself trapped in her hungry alpha's arms.

While Maggie slept in her bed, Mrs. Snape decided she would tend to her amorous husband first, then her daughter once the calm of the new morning arrived.