8. Poison

'Until tomorrow my Lord' Pycelle said heading out after a small council meeting.

'I've been meaning to talk to you about Lord Arryn.' Ned said bringing Pycelle to a halt.

'Lord Aaron? His death was a great sadness to all of us I took personal charge of his care but I could not save him. His sickness struck him very hard and very fast,' he noted 'I saw him in my chambers just the night before he passed.' Ned nodded thinking that through. 'Lord Jon often came to me for my council,' Pycelle told him

'Why?' Ned asked

'I have been grandmaster for many years. Kings and hands I've often come to me for advice.' Pycelle informed him.

'What did he want?' Ned pushed.

'He came in inquiring after a book.'

'A book?' Ned questioned 'what book?'

'I fear it would be a little less interest to you my Lord it was just a tome.'

'No I would like to read it' ned assured him

'The images in history of the great houses of the seven kingdoms.' Pycelle said dropping a very large book in front of Ned 'with discretion of the high lords and the formal ladies.' Ned flipped open the latch unlocking the book flipping through the pages old and worn and weathered with age. Ned started reading about the umbers.

''As I said my Lord it is quite a ponderous read.' Pycelle told him.

'Did Jon say what he wanted with it?" Ned went on.

'He did not my Lord and I did not presume to ask'

'Jon's death...' Ned went on

'Such a tragedy.' Pycelle agreed.

'Did he say anything to you during his final hours?' Ned asked

'Nothing important my Lord... Well there was one phrase he kept repeating the seed is strong I think it was.' Pycelle informed him.

'The seed is strong? What does that mean?' Ned questioned.

'Dying minds, a demented mind for all awake the last words are usually as significant as the first words.' Pycelle assured him.

'And you are quite certain that he died of natural elements?' Ned went on, unconvinced.

'What else could it be?'

'Poison?' ned offered.

'That's a disturbing thought no no I don't think it likely. The hand was loved by all.' Pycelle informed him

'Poison is a woman's weapon,' Ned reminded him.

'Yes women criminals in unics did you know that Lord Varys is a unic?' Pycelle pondered.

'Everybody knows that.' Ned told him

'Yes yes of course how that sort of person found himself on the kings Council I would never know.' Pycelle remarked.

'I thank you for your time.' Ned said closing up the book

'No trouble at all my Lord it is an honor.' Pycelle reached for the book but ned picked it up.

'Thank you I will find my own way out.' Ned said leaving with the book. Pycelle walked out after him

++

'Is it true the last hand was murdered?" Thea questioned coming up behind Sandor. He had to admit to himself, never to her that he enjoyed her finding him every day. He didn't understand why but he liked her company.

'There is a rumor spreading of murder but the maester doesn't think so.' Sandor told her.

'Who would want to murder Hands?' Thea exclaimed.

'You look too excited about murder Thea.' Sandor remarked.

'How did he die? Poison perhaps? That's a good...' her words trailed off and sandor stared down at her.

'that give you some ideas?" he questioned and Thea bit her lip hiding her smile.

"What? No I'm a proper little lady,' Thea reminded him.

'Sure you are.' Sandor told her.

'No one was accused for his death?' Thea clarified.

"No most people think it was just... natural ailments.' Sandor remarked.

'But if it wasn't?" Thea pondered.

'Then they got away with it, it seems.' Sandor told her and Thea nodded.

'Any way I could seduce a maester to tell me all the best poison's and not make it sound suspicious?' Thea pondered and Sandor laughed. Thea had never heard him laugh before. It was deep and grumbly but a smile on his face, she stood transfixed by him.

'I'm sure you could.' Sandor told her. 'But you are not going to .' Sandor told her smiling down at her she stared up at the smile on his face. He licked at his lips his smile fading slightly. 'you shouldn't say these things out loud, to anyone.' Sandor told her leading her away.

'I'm not telling anyone, I'm telling you.' Thea said confidently.

'and how do you know I'm not going to tell anyone?" Sandor questioned.

'Because you like me.' Thea purred as she left with a wink.