(Thranduil x Reader) Bittersweet

(All beautiful things must come to an end).
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

You steadied your shaking hand and knocked lightly on the door.

"Come in." A voice rang gently from behind.

Pushing the door open, Thranduil caught your eye in the reflection of the vanity mirror. You caught your own reflection, a deep blue dress floating away from your body as it descended. Your rich, dark hair a twirl of braids and lose strands.

He smiled before turning in his chair slightly to see you. "(Y/n)."

You smiled back but only for a second. Your face, became grave. "Thranduil."

He turned more, his brown creased. "What is wrong?"

You caught a glance through the window. The night was dark and thick, the fog heavy. Grey wisps seemed to seep in through the open frame. Your gaze turned back to Thranduil again. His eyes so pure and deep and blue, so full of wisdom. Your own had seen so much. Every now and then, you would catch something so otherworldly in the unity of your gaze and you would be lost in the secrets that one another's held.

"They've called me home, Thranduil."

Those pure blue eyes shattered. All of that wisdom as grey as the fog.

"No." He whispered. He rose from the chair, his long robes flourishing below. "(Y/n), no." A weak plea.

"I have to go." You felt the weight of your own voice.

He came towards you, his eyes never leaving yours. He gently placed his hands on your arms. "(Y/n), there must another way."

You found your hand made its way to his cheek. His skin fair and un-ageing. Like ancient starlight itself. "We knew this day would come." Each word ached. "The land was never truly my home. I belong with the sea." You reached to trace the point of his ears. They were so beautiful to you. He was so beautiful to you. You were so very beautiful to him.

But his very being was a reminder of what you were not. Your ears did not raise to an elvish point. Instead, your eyes shone a deep blue unlike any other, your irises glittered with gold.

"I don't want to see you go." He breathed.

Your body felt weak. You didn't want to go either. Your mind may have yearned for the comforts of the sea bed, for the entrancement of the waves song, but your heart begged you to stay here. The land had been an adventure you had never seen coming. It had made you feel the rush of your blood through your veins, warm and so incredibly alive.

"Anfay has passed." You said. "We knew that I had been chosen to lead as the next Queen, Thranduil. I've known since she chose me. And you've known since I met you. We just never expected to find this." And you never had. Not once had you imagined to find a love like this, to find a beauty beyond the waves, like this.

You could hear beyond what others could. The one thing you shared with the elf before you even if your features didn't show it. As soon as the song had begun, you had heard it. They were calling you home. It was so beautiful. Yet, you had never felt more pain.

"This is what you want?" He asked.

"You, are what I want." You looked away. "I've found a life I truly enjoy here. I never wanted to be Queen of the mer. But," you looked back up to him again, your eyes heavy, "they are my people. I have duty to them. As you do to yours. Which is why we must say good-bye, my love."

It was almost unbearable to look as him, his eyes so broken. But he didn't protest, he didn't push you to stay. He knew the weight of being a King. He knew the burden you were bearing. The kiss he placed on your head showed that he would not add to it. "I will always love you." He whispered, your foreheads touching, your eyes closed.

"Not as much as I will love you." You said almost inaudible with a soft smile.

The night was so silent. You both didn't look to see if the fog still blanketed the air. But, between the soft sounds of your breathing, you couldn't mistake the quiet brush of the waves from far beyond the edge of the elven forest. The soft hush of voices calling you. They were so very beautiful. Bittersweet. Your heart was torn. Yet so much of it remained here. So very much of it. You opened your eyes, Thranduil's still closed. A separate world belonged in those eyes. One, you would so greatly, so deeply, miss.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Sorry for the deep sadness lol