(Dwalin x Reader) Hidden Feelings

A request for Weasleystan96 !
Hope it's okay! Not my best again I struggled with Dwalin but hopefully I've given him some kind of justice haha
~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~•
(Imagine Dwalin opens up to you about his feelings.)
~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•

You could have sworn you had heard something growl. The rest of the company continued on but the subtle rough sound you heard from your left had made you freeze.

"What are you doing lass, your going to hold everyone ba-"

You shot Dwalin a look, placing your finger over your lips to silence him. He was about to say more before he saw the sterness take over your features. The dwarf was often blunt and distant and you had both often shared the odd conversation of your memories of Erebor but that had been it. Other than that, you tended to keep your distance from his coldness. If anything, he tended to close up from any interaction with you.

Your eyes scanned the forest again and there it was, the same bone tingling growl. Your eyes darted to Dwalin. "Run. Everyone, run!"

All of the dwarves turned with wide eyes before a large wolf like creature pelted from the bushes beside you. It charged towards you, heaving and dripping wet from its mouth, gnashing teeth snapping towards the dwarves.

"Run you idiots!" Dwalin yelled, grabbing your wrist as the other dwarves came to their senses and ran.

You only got so far before the creature caught your heels and you stifled a gasp. It dragged you from Dwalin's grip and twisted you onto your front. Before it's claws came down to your flesh you lifted your dagger and grazed it's arm causing it to squirm. But it still held your legs.

The other dwarves were charging to your aid now. You managed to, in the creature's wailing pain, take your chance at cutting its throat. You only got a small slice as it moved too much in its struggle but it was enough for you to throw the beast off of you. The other dwarves started to swing their swords it's way, only making tiny red marks.

As you got free you let it's attention stay on the dwarves. But only for a second. As it turned to its new opponents you raised your dagger, dodging its long tale as it swiped by your legs, and plunged your dagger into the back of its neck. A squealing howl was released then, a sound so strong you felt it vibrate your bones. But then it collapsed as you slid off, away from its back. That was until it turned suddenly, striking its claws against your face, pushing you back with its last strength until it flayed, collapsing forward on top of you.

A pair of strong hands grasped your shoulders, pulling you out. Your vision was a little hazy from the blow but you could see a familiar face.

"To the gods are you okay, (y/n)!?" He was on his knees pulling you close to him.

You eyes widened in shock. Dwalin? Caring?

He checked you over and you could hear his heard pounding. You coughed a little then gave a weary smile. "Just a little scratch is all."

Suddenly something hit his features and he let out a nervous cough. "Oh. Good, good. I was worried we'd lost a member of our company for a second."

You heard the other dwarves around you pulling up the creatures dead body and looting any furs or meat they could source. Often you heard them asking Dwalin if you were okay and seeing him nod in response.

You smiled and then lifted yourself. "Thank you."

Many moons passed as you continued your journey to Erebor. You still felt slightly bruised and rough from the weight of the beast and it's attack against your body although it was not as aggressive as the first few days had been following your attack. Oin had given you some creams that helped sooth your muscles but you couldn't seem to shake the damage to your head.

"Aye, she certainly did. Took the beast down like it was no trouble!" Bofur's voice made you snap back in and you saw the dwarves giving you cheery glances and raising their small mugs of ale to you.

"To you lass." Thorin said with a smile, raising his cup.
The others cheered and chugged down their ale.

"Any excuse to drink I see. It was over a month ago." You laughed.

"Ah but we must remind ourselves of our victories or we will forget and the generations beyond will not know of our defeats." Bofur gave a wide grin.

"Still any excuse to drink!" You chuckled.

"Only when it is a celebratory time like this." Fili winked, raising his cup to you before gulping it down.

You shook your head and smiled before you felt a sudden headache brewing. It was dull and lingering. Excusing yourself, you rose, not noticing the worried glance Dwalin had given you.

The stream wasn't far and the Elven alcohol the dwarves had saved (stole) from Rivendell would make it easy to walk off without worry. You sat by it, massaging your temples against the rhythm of the flowing stream.

"(Y/n)." A sudden voice brought you back to reality and you turned to see Dwalin slowly walking towards you.

"Dwalin?" You smiled. "Are you alright?"

"I-er, yes I am well, thank you."!

You smiled and turned back to the stream assuming he just needed a moment to escape like you. Suddenly you felt the presence of a figure sit behind you.

"I was worried I had lost you."

Your eyes shot to Dwalin looking away, gazing into the water. But you didn't get a chance to reply.

"Honestly, I don't admit this much but I was worried. When the beast attacked. I truly was and I don't ever want to lose you." His eyes turned to yours and glistened in the moonlight.

You were so...confused but in the most beautiful way.
"I never thought you cared much for me, Dwalin." You said with a raised brow.

"I'm not so good at being...warm."

A soft chuckle escaped your lips and you smiled. "We can't all be as rowdy as the others. Someone has to level out the chaos."

A small smile touched his lips. "I'd like to think of it that way."

You both sat in the silence for a moment. You had never seen the dwarf be so open. You had ignored most of his glances across the campfire, assuming they were nothing more than analytical. Assessing the situation.

"I don't ever want to lose you either, Dwalin." His eyes widened before you placed your hand on his arm but he shied away uncomfortable. "Please, don't worry, I'll keep this between us."

"Thank you." He breathed. "I just don't want them all knowing, all seeing-"

"You don't want them seeing you like this, vulnerable." You smiled. "And they won't. But if you ever need to talk, I am here. I understand the burdens that come with such a journey and no one, even you should bare them alone."

His hand clasped yours and his eyes met your own again. "Thank you, (y/n). Thank you."