(Bofur x Reader) I Couldn't Think of Anything More Perfect

A request for DwarfMaiden ! Hope it's okay :)

~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•
(Imagine you and Bofur spending a romantic evening together.)
~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•

You rubbed your palms against the skirt of your dress, trying to stop your hands from sweating. You were nervous. Fair enough, you were nervous often, but this was different.

Ever since Thorin and his company had reclaimed Erebor, you felt like you could breathe a little lighter again.

You had not seen a member of the company since you had left the quest once reaching Beorn's, staying in his home while you recovered. You had to. You were greatly wounded after Azog's attack as the smoke had reached your lungs and you were growing weaker. And now you were all back home, safe.

But somehow, you still didn't feel complete. And the journey had honestly tired you.

There was something missing.

Someone, missing.

"Are you alright, lass?" A soft voice asked from behind you in the Dwarven halls.

You turned to see Bofur standing there, worried eyes.

You and him had become close during the journey. You were instantly accepted by the Company due to your dwarven blood and height yet your human heritage had sparked an interest in Bofur. One night as you sat by the fire you had looked up to see a nervous dwarf, scrunching his hat in his hands. He had asked you if you would be so kind as to tell him about your life back home, amongst the humans. You told him of your human mother and dwarven Father who had raised you in a human village to keep you away from the uncertainty of the Oakenshield's lost reign.

Bofur had sat, watching you with admiration as you had told him of your love for learning the ways of a sword and your desire for adventure. His calm nature had drawn you two together. He realised that your spirit was alive and fiery but your demeaner was calm, caring and open to learning more of the world beyond you.

You both didn't have to mention it. You knew there was a spark there.

You turned fully to him giving a reassuring smile. "Yes, Bofur. I am perfectly fine, thank you."

But his worried gaze lingered. "(Y/N), you can tell me if something is wrong, you know that." A sad smile touched his lips.

You let out a small sigh. "It's just - well- with the journey over, I'm struggling to get use to this all again."

He came closer to you and placed his hands lightly on your arms. "I know," he sighed, "I often feel the same way. But just know, that in time this will feel so familiar we will question why we were so worried in the first place." He smiled and you did too.

"Thank you, Bofur."

He let out a sudden shaky breath, looking away. "I'm glad to see you again, (Y/N). I hated leaving you there but-"

"But I needed to recover." You gave him a soft smile and did not leave until his gaze met yours, insisting that he had made the right decision.

He nodded hesitantly, and turned back to the hall to join the meeting to discuss the reorganisation of the new Kingdom.

~•~

You couldn't sleep. For some reason your thoughts seemed to claw at your mind.

A sudden knock startled you. Sighing, you rose, allowing your feet to patter against the floors as you made your way to the door. Opening it, you found a note by your feet.

"Meet me by the fountain.

All my love, B"

A sudden smile touched your lips at the thought of a secret meeting and you grabbed your night coat and made your way to the garden.

As you approached you saw Bofur, under the light of the moon, twisting his hat in his hands.

He's nervous. You smiled.

"Bofur, what have you called me for?" You asked, a slight frown creasing your brow but your smile not wavering.

He hesitated. "I-I wanted to do something special for you. I-well-I figure we could have an evening to ourselves, finally, after all this time." Again, he wouldn't meet your eyes.

You walked forwards, hearing the soft fall of the fountain beside you. Embracing him, his body tensed for a moment and then relaxed as he hugged you back. "I could not think of anything more perfect, Bo." He squeezed you tighter.

The night was the rush of fresh air you had needed for months. Through the adventure, danger and recovery, you had lost much precious time together. You were able, under the light of the stars to talk about your worries together. The other dwarves seemed so certain of the furture of Erebor. But now you were leaving your old home, to stay and you couldn't understand how they could settle so simply.

"I promise, it will get easier, (y/n)." Bofur said, pouring more of the sweet red liquid into your glass and letting his eyes meet yours. "And I will be with you every step of the way."

Your gazes lingered as your searched on another's eyes. Suddenly, you pressed your lips against his and the world stopped. The water from the fountain was the only thing you could hear and you allowed your thoughts to be flooded by the beauty of the moment.

Leaning back, you both smiled. "You are so good to me, Bo. I will never for a second take that for granted."

Allowing your body to fall back, you laid your self in the hold of the grass. You heard a small chuckle from Bofur until you turned your head to meet his eyes, realising he had come to join you.

"Now," you said softly, "let us talk of other matters."

Bofur looked at you as you gazed at the stars above. "What matters do you think of?"

You rolled your head to meet him. "The ones where I can spend the night watching the stars and talking of our future."

Another beautiful smile touched his lips. "I could not think of anything more perfect, (y/n)."

You could hear the fountain again but the soft rush of water faded from existence as you spoke through the night with your one love and allowed yourself to finally breathe.