(Thranduil x Reader) Do Not Speak To Me Of Her

(Imagine being Captain of Thranduil's guard, trying to persuade him to not start war with Thorin over the death of his wife)
~~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~

"My Lord, surely you must see that this will not dissuade Thorin from war." You said, motioning to the Arkenstone on the table beside you.

You tried your hardest to search his eyes but his stubborn covering wouldn't let you see beyond that usual stone exterior.

"(Y/n), this is not your concern. The dwarves have chosen their fate. This is their last chance to redeem themselves." Thranduil replied, his body elegantly placed in his chair.

As captain of the guard you had seen Thranduil at his most stubborn. You had acted on orders at their most extreme. But the fragility of the situation meant that decisions needed to be assessed and made carefully.

You took in a breath, noting that time was faltering and soon Bard and Thranduil would address the dwarf. "War will not resolve this conflict. What of Thorin's kin?"

"We will deal with them once what is mine is returned."

A strange heat gripped your chest. Lives were at endless stake. You found your fire rising. "This is not what she would have wanted Thranduil!"

You hadn't meant to say that.

You were frozen.

You could see by the widening of his eyes that he had not expected to hear it.

"Do not speak to me of her." He said in a whisper.

You took a step forward, surprised that he had not reacted with more anger. "But you know it is true." You breathed. "Fauria gave you such love." You looked away from his eyes. "And she gave me a friendship I believe I was hardly worthy of. To see our kind soon to be torn apart over the whim of jewels would break her."

You forced your self to look back at Thranduil's eyes. You were his wife's closest friend, since you had both been elflings.

When she had caught feelings for the Elven son of King Oropher, you had not been surprised. Their introverted natures drew them to one another and Fauria's love for the beauty of the forest had only made Thranduil more intrigued.

You and Thranduil had taken a while to warm up to one another, but you had never been intimidated by him, or his heritage that would one day see him on the throne of Mirkwood.

You were one of Mirkwood's best fighters after all and Thranduil found himself by Fauria's side often watching you duel, your friend's wide smile and cheers fuelling your strong fight.

Once Fauria had pushed you two together enough, you became good friends. Her death only strengthened your bond and his choice to seek your wisdom.

"Those jems of starlight were gifted by both of us, Thranduil." You continued. You could see the pain aching in his eyes, you feared that if you looked into them too long, you too would become lost. "But they are not worth the destruction this could bring."

The memory of that beautiful day swept by.

Fauria's day of birth was only a week away and you had caught the Elven king pacing, unsure what to gift his wife. He had only been shocked when a smirk formed on his face and you grabbed his hand to lead him away. When his eyes set on the jewels that the dwarves had found, you both decided that a necklace would be the perfect fit.

When they were fashioned the glistening gems into a necklace you could hardly breathe. Such beauty.

But Fauria too had lost her breath, not long after, in Gundabad. She had never gotten to wear the gems. And you had never gotten to show them to her. Nor had Thranduil. She had only known that there was a gift of starlight waiting for her. And she had been so excited.

Both of your hearts broke that day.

"They took them." He suddenly said in the silence that you had not realised was lingering. "They took the only part of her that I had left."

Your gaze snapped to him as he look away, his eyes welling. Walking forward, you found yourself placing a hand on his shoulder. "They did not. Fauria left something far greater for you. She left you a son."

His eyes caught yours and you had not seen him this lost since the day his wife had left this realm. You knew he could see the truth deep down, but he shrouded it away under his grief.

"It has been years, my friend. She isn't coming back. I wish she was. But she isn't." You paused, your voice breaking as you had finished. You looked away again.

The only thing that told you he was still listening was the hand that you felt on your own, placed on his shoulder. You looked up and accepted the act of comfort.

"The men of Laketown still wish to fight." He said suddenly. "And if you are right, Oakenshield's kin in the Iron hills may be afoot. If Gandalf too is correct, then the orcs will soon charge." You furrowed your brows confused, and then understanding dawned.

"So, we have no choice. We must prepare." You sighed, defeated.

He nodded slowly. "I will stake my claim for the gems. To reassure of my claim to the mountain should question arise." His voice was quiet and tired.

His face creased when you gazed at him questioningly. His hand squeezed yours all of a sudden and he drew your attention. "I will not wage war over the gems."

"You won't let your grief fuel your actions?" You whispered, almost not believing what you heard.

"No." He said back quietly. "You are right. This is not what she would want."

Once again, you did not mean to, but you found yourself embracing him in a hug. "Thank you, Thranduil." You whispered.

He did not fight back, he was too tired. And to be honest, you think he found peace in the comfort. No one had understood his grief like you.

Pulling back, you walked away, to leave the tent.

"(Y/n)." He said, making you turn.

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

You smiled softly and made your way out of the tent ready to prepare for battle and to fight for your King and for your friend.

~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~~•~~•~~

Kinda left any relationship open for interpretation here haha but I still like to see it as a comforting friendship, kinda feel bad that Thrandy never really had anyone to grieve with.

Also I woke up and wrote this. Don't worry I'm not going through anything I was just in deep thought this morning lol

Thanks for reading ! 🤍