(Thranduil) Returning Home ~ Part 5

~ Reunited ~

"Ayvire." Eyeline said back, a smile gripping his face.

"Wh-what are you doing here?" Suddenly your shocked expression was replaced by a smirk as your heart slowed its rapid beating.

"You know me, Ayvire. I'm drawn to trouble."

You let out a small chuckle then walked towards him enveloping him in your arms. He squeezed you tight for a second his shoulder length, black, curly hair brushing your face. "It's good to see you, Ranger." You said, pulling away and patting his shoulder. "Now, I'll ask you again. What are you doing here ?" Your face serious.

Eyreline looked over towards Tauriel who was now standing beside Legolas, a strange smirk on the elf's face. "Let's just say you can't keep me away so easily." Eyreline said.

You turned back to him, a brow raised. "We had an agreement, Eyreline. For your safety as much as mine."

He smiled at you gently. "I know, Ayvire, but your Father won't see me this way. I doubt he took kindly to your adventures." His voice was smooth and comforting, you had missed this familiarity. "When I found my self back in Mirkwood, I saw Tauriel, hooded unlocking the stables in the darkness." He looked over to her. "A bit suspicious for an elf in such soldier like attire. As if she was involved in something the King should not see. So when I told her who I was and who I was looking for, her only option was to believe me."

Your gaze darkened. "You blackmailed her?"

His eyes snapped back to yours and a frown creased his pristine features. "What? No, Ayvire."

"I thought he would," Tauriel's voice broke into the room, "but he just asked me where you were as he wished to speak with you. I was betraying my King, I had not much reason to doubt him. But then he told me everything he knew of you and I figured if you met him by the side of Legolas and I, no harm would come to you if he was lying."

A smirk touched his face. "Which I am not."

"Which we can see." Legolas interjected, giving him an approving nod but still a sternness marked his eyes. Surely he doesn't feel threatened.

"And I thank you. Both." He nodded back. "Now," he continued "how are we going to get this prisoner out of here?"

Legolas took a step forward. "There is a passage by the back of the stables that will lead us to the outer forests. It is where Ayvire would hide away from any responsibility as a child."

You rolled your eyes. "I didn't hide from my responsibilities, Legolas. I just changed what those responsibilities were." You said, with a smirk.

~•~

The night was only growing darker and the four of you eventually made it out of the passage and into the forest. The night felt unsettling. It had only been a day since you had returned and yet you were leaving again so quick. But what could you do?

Father is letting his idea of betrayal cloud his mind. I can only convince my self to accept it for so long.

As you walked forward through the ancient trees, you found yourself beside Legolas as Eyreline and Tauriel walked forward.

"You never got to tell me about your travels." Legolas whispered, trying his best to keep his volume to a minimum.

"I didn't really get chance before Ada decided to get me out of his way."

Legolas shot you a sad grimace. "He loves you, Ayvire. I hope you know that. And I'm sure he loves me too. But as you know, since Mother died he has never been one to open up his feelings again." He looked away, his eyes tracking the ground. "And I understand. Why you went away, that is. And I think you made the right decision."

You almost gasped. But why? Legolas had always been a good older brother to you. So why did you not expect him to be so understanding?

"I felt as if I'd betrayed you, Legolas." You blurted. "I just left-left you with an even smaller family. Mother didn't have a choice, but I did, and sometimes I feel like I made the wrong one."

Suddenly he halted, and grasped your shoulders. You looked to the pair walking and you were worried your pause would make you lose them.

That didn't matter when Legolas spoke sternly. "Don't let yourself be wrapped up in such guilt, Ayvire. I am the older of us both and I should be the one to protect you. I didn't, not against Father or his attempts to marry you off. I'd shouted and yelled but not enough. It is time I started to take responsibility for our happiness like you did. You left and you lived, Ayvire. Maybe I should learn from that." He tried not to show it but his gaze flickered towards Tauriel.

A soft smile touched your lips as you followed his gaze.

"Love is complicated, Legolas." You said softly. "But when you find it," you looked towards Tauriel, "don't let it go. It doesn't come so real, so often."

His mouth opened to protest but then he closed it knowing better. Your brother was in love. And he had forgiven you. Your heart was full for this small moment.

"And you would know, sister." He said suddenly, his eyes shooting towards Eyreline before he winked and turned on his heels, his blonde hair swaying victoriously behind.

••~••~••~••~•~•~•~•~••~•~••~~•~~••~~••~~•

I know not much has happened in this one I just wanted to have a little talky chapter to get some emotions out there!