(Thranduil x Reader) Returning Home ~ Part 8

~ Oakenshield ~

You felt a little nervous but you were not sure why. You knew eventually you would have to face the dwarves. You had become good friends with those from the Iron Hills but Thorin's distaste for elves worried you. But for now, you'd keep your hood up.

Have I lost my mind? Coming all this way. Maybe I should have stayed where I was with Eyreline.

A sudden uproar of footsteps and clattering caught your attention as Tilda and Singrid walked into the living room, a trail of Dwarves behind them. Most of the Dwarves glared at you while others just looked at you quizzically and concerned. Eyreline stood beside you. You'd ventured far on your own, but his presence always eased you a little more. The final Dwarf stepped in.

His gaze immediately turned hostile and he turned to Bard. "Who have you brought here? I thought we made a deal to keep us hidden!?" He growled.

Bard stumbled on his choice of words before you decided to speak. "Thorin Oakenshield, I presume?" The Dwarves turned back to stare at you, Thorin's gaze fixing on yours. Your face was clear, your ears were hidden.

"And who might you be?" He said gruffly.

You pushed back the smile that tried to form on your face. You'd had many encounters with species who were not so fond of strangers. "Bard would you mind giving us a moment?" The man hesitated then nodded, walking away. This only made the Dwarves shuffle a little more uncomfortably. "My name is Ayvire. Beside me is Eyreline, a Ranger of the North." You paused for a moment, considering the quizzical look on the Dwarves face. "We are here to help you, Master Oakenshield. The quest you seek will bring you many enemies and will cause much destruction."

He searched your face as you wondered if he would recognise you from the throne room. He made no action to prompt that he did. "And what would you know of our quest? Or what it could possibly bring us?" He took a few steps forward, getting closer and...more annoyed.

"You seek to reclaim Erebor, your home. It is what you and your people deserve. No one should fear not having a place in this world or the next." Something hit Thorin's face. Suprise? "However, threats are against you. A dragon. A Pale Orc. An ElvenKing." You struggled to say that last part. You loved your Father greatly but you also needed Thorin's trust. "I have travelled this world far and wide. I have seen things that you could barely even comprehend existing. Things that I once did not believe were true. More orcs than you could imagine. More dragons, even." He flinched at the idea of more great  serpents roaming Middle Earth. "I intend on continuing to help protect Middle Earth from these threats."

"And why would that be?" He said, a little more calmly but a fire still lingered in his eyes.

"Because, Master Oakenshield, once you have seen such beauty in such a large world, you realise the need to keep it safe. And besides, I know what it is to be without a home. I hope to help your people to regain theirs in the process." You said.

"I still don't quite understand who you are." Another dwarf said from beside Thorin.

Thorin acknowledged him then turned back to me. "Balin is right. Your friend is a Ranger, so you say. Who are you?"

You and Eyreline shared a look. You couldn't miss the hesitation that stripped his face. But it had to be done eventually.

Looking Oakenshield in the eyes, you removed your hood. "I am Ayvire, a Woodland elf" The Dwarves gasped when they saw the point of your ears, "daughter of King Thranduil." You almost thought that the youngest would faint at that second.

What you didn't expect was the sudden rage that gripped Thorin's face. He charged forward a fist gripped but a cold steel separated him from you.

"It's okay Eyreline." You breathed. He nodded moving it back.