Chapter 52 - Origin of the Prince Family

Start from the beginning

As the magical lights glowed again, Ingrid continued to hold Harriet's hand and slowly coax the cursed matter from her body.

Severus squinted his eyes as he watched a new scene begin to play.

He and Ingrid dropped hands, but that didn't matter, the ancient magic was well underway.

In that same grand palace, Ingrid cowered with the other chained girls while they watched from their tall window as buildings burned and screams echoed from the sandy village outside the formidable building's heavy walls.

The screams drew closer as the girls exchanged nervous glances.

Across the sand dunes, on the far edge of what Severus thought appeared to be a body of water, a river or an ocean, proud ships sat with their wide sails bearing the emblem of an axe.

Loud, woeful screams of terror sounded from outside of the room in which the girls had been locked.

As the doors to that room flew open, a massive young man strode inside, clad in heavy leather and layers of thick fur.

While the magical lights focused on detailing the image of the invader, Severus had the intuitive feeling as he stared at the blue-eyed, blonde-haired man that he held a great significance.

Severus glanced up at Ingrid as the image of the man hovered in the lights that flickered in front of Harriet.

"I had nothing and no one, not even a name." Ingrid explained as the lights moved again to show the man charging head first into the room filled with armed guards and frightened girls.

Severus frowned as he watched the man pull a large, etched axe from somewhere deep inside the many layers of clothing on his body to slaughter each and every enemy soldier in his path.

"I did not know the names of my captors." Ingrid frowned, "I only knew them as pain, as fear, as misery......Until the day that his people came to our land........When I first saw him, I thought that he must have been a great king.....In a single moment, pain, fear, and misery fell under his axe like fragile waifs in the wind........."

Severus watched the memory and squinted his eyes as the last guard's lifeless body crashed into the stone floor.

Screaming and desperate to escape a similar fate, the other chained girls scampered past the man and out of the room, but Ingrid knelt down before him and raised her hands.

"It was then......" She said with a solemn frown Severus failed to notice, "That this man became a god to me. I knew that he would set me free and that is why I offered myself to him, hoping he would dispatch me from this world by ending my suffering."

Severus watched the conqueror stare down at his ancestor coldly.

His dark eyes widened as he watched the man raise his axe.

Instead of hitting Ingrid, the blonde man chose to snap her chains in two, separating her hands and feet from their restrictive binds in one skillful motion.

"At last...." Ingrid smiled wryly, "For the first time in my life, I was my own person."

Severus's dark eyes flickered from his great-grandmother to the magical lights as they moved again and showed an image of warfare so intense that his pale face twisted in disgust.

There, in the heaviest part of the battle, the man who had freed Ingrid continued to swing his axe valiantly, as if his imminent defeat had not already been assured by the sheer number of forces against him.

"I watched from the window after the god and his men left my prison." Ingrid nodded.

Severus scowled.