I let out a tired hum as I rested my head on his shoulder, the weariness from brewing the potion seeping into my bones—I needed to add another ingredient at 5 a.m. this morning.

"Sounds like plenty of time to kiss you..." He mused, his tone casual, undoubtedly accompanied by that trademark Malfoy smirk.

I chuckled softly, lifting my head from his shoulder. "No, thank you. I'd rather not have a repeat of Moaning Myrtle's unexpected appearance. Remember a few days ago?"

Malfoy's lips curled into a grin. "Ah, yes. How could I forget?"

I pondered for a moment. "What if instead of that, we share naked truths? You start."

His response was dry and predictable. "I want to kiss you."

"Alright, let's try this again. How about sharing something less...physically oriented? Like actual facts about ourselves."

Malfoy leaned in, his smirk growing mischievous. "I'm a good kisser. Maybe I should just demonstrate."

Before anything more could unfold, the echoing voice of Moaning Myrtle cut in, her tone dripping with melancholy. "Not again!"

Malfoy's reaction was a mixture of annoyance and exasperation. "You again."

Myrtle's eyes welled with tears, her wails filling the bathroom. She was always so touchy, and it didn't take much to set her off.

"He didn't mean it like that, Myrtle." I hurriedly assured her, throwing a glance at Malfoy.

My expression urged him to follow suit and apologise to spare us the next twenty minutes of her crying.

Malfoy's scrunched nose indicated his begrudging cooperation. "Yeah, yeah. I'm sorry." He muttered, almost sounding sincere.

Moaning Myrtle slowly lowered her hands from her face, casting a scathing glare in Malfoy's direction.

"Save your faux sincerity for someone else!" She retorted, her tone dripping with disdain.

Hovering in the air, her gaze shifted to the cauldron and the brew within. "Polyjuice Potion, is it?" She inquired, her voice laced with curiosity.

"No, it's not. Why do you ask?"

"I was swirling around a particularly stubborn drain the other day and I could have sworn I caught a whiff of Polyjuice Potion. I thought maybe I was finally onto the one responsible for that mess."

Malfoy's incredulous voice cut in. "What on earth were you doing in a drain?"

Her wail held a hint of exasperation. "It's not like I choose to be there! Sometimes someone flushes my toilet without any warning!"

"Well, whatever floats your ghostly boat." Malfoy mumbled under his breath.

The mental image of Moaning Myrtle hurtling down a plumbing pipe was too bizarre to ignore. Yet, before I could fully wrap my head around that thought, she changed the topic. "Anyway, I'm off to watch Cedric practising his spell for tomorrow." She giggled, floating away.

My mind briefly pitied Cedric.

After a string of aimless words that barely constituted a proper conversation between Malfoy and me, the Characterisation Potion was finally ready.

No matter the specifics of the second task, I had confidence that Harry would excel with his fish-like agility, the ability to breathe underwater, and the clear vision the potion would grant him.

As I watched the potion bubble away, my thoughts inevitably wandered back to the rift between Harry and me.

It had been nearly two months since we last spoke adequately. I hoped this gesture, helping him with the task, might finally mend our relationship.