Chapter 47 - Of and With

Start from the beginning

Between carefully watching their mail and applying the paste to their skin, the witches and wizards under Severus's governance no longer feared the toxic letters, which continued to be received and destroyed for another week.

Severus breathed a sigh of relief once the Ministry's efforts eliminated the unexpected threat.

All suspicious parcels were returned to the Ministry for further study per Severus's request.

He also ordered the Department of Magical Law Enforcement to place a large number of their cases on hold in favor of examining each letter for clues.

Unfortunately, the aurors were unable to gather much insight from the pieces of poisonous mail.

—————————————————————

As the investigation continued, Severus looked forward to the arrival of his second child.

Harriet's belly had bloomed to become round and lovely, although her energy had waned and her aches had increased.

The baby's nursery had been decorated.

The supplies had been purchased.

Ingrid stayed in her rabbit form while Harriet spent a large portion of her time in her nests.

During the days, she stayed in the private room adjacent to Severus's office.

During the evenings, she lounged in the cuddly respite of the bedchamber they shared together.

Maggie played with Rabbie and Disencan whenever she wasn't cuddling her mother.

One particular morning, while the rest of the house slept, Severus deftly rose from his place next to his mate, dressed, and apparated away.

As he swept down a cobblestone street and entered a certain shop, he frowned at the questioning stares he received from the people that passed by.

—————————————————————

Severus Snape was the only man in the waiting room of the midwife's office who had arrived alone at the practice.

He felt more than a bit awkward until a door opened and a smiling nurse called out, ".........Mr. Snape?"

Severus swiftly stood to his feet, eager to escape the curious glances from the pregnant omegas who sat in the waiting room with their mates.

As he rushed forward, he followed the nurse through the door and down the hallway.

She showed Severus to an empty examination room, where he politely sat down in one of the chairs next to the patient bed and waited.

Ten minutes later, a swift knock came at the door before Harriet's midwife turned the knob and entered.

"Mr. Snape! Hello!" The woman greeted him with a bright smile as she closed the door and sat down on the stool across from him, "It isn't often that I receive visits from fathers by themselves! How is your wife doing?"

"This morning, she's sleeping." Severus replied dryly. He nodded as he went on, ".....Though she seems to be doing well after our ordeal."

"That's lovely!" The midwife said, "She measured nicely last week. Not too much longer now, eh?"

"No." Severus frowned, "That's what I've come to speak with you about this morning."

"I beg your pardon, sir?" The midwife frowned.

"Madam.....I know that you're aware of the circumstances concerning my firstborn's arrival into this world." Severus said very seriously, "That day was one of the most frightening of my life........It was traumatic for my wife and cost my daughter her legs......I've come to inquire as to how we can make the ordeal easier for my mate this time? I want her second trip to the birthing bed to be as comfortable and as painless as possible."