Chapter 45 - Family Bonds

Start from the beginning

The longer his wife and mother spoke to each other, the more uneasy Severus felt.

Maggie blinked.

"I don't doubt your brewing abilities, Mrs. Snape." Harriet nodded as she cleared her throat, "But I don't think your son cares much if he has sons or not, as long as his children are healthy and well."

Eileen laughed heartily.

The richness of the sound irritated Harriet as she watched her mother-in-law's black eyes sparkle with mirth.

Eileen quieted herself after a moment but she kept a smile on her face as if Harriet had told a great joke before she raised her goblet to her lips, cracked an amused grin, and said, "Please, dear, you can call me Eileen."

While the family continued to share their meal, Rabbie watched closely from the shadowy entrance to the darkened hallway.

—————————————————————

Although dinner ended quickly, the rest of the evening dragged on.

Eventually, Severus, Eileen, and Harriet all went to sit in the living room.

Maggie went to bed first.

Harriet took her to her nursery for the night as Rabbie followed loyally.

Harriet tried desperately to outlast their guest, but the life she carried dictated a strict need for ample sleep.

"Take the poor girl to bed, Severus." Eileen frowned at her son as Harriet nodded off on his shoulder for the second time, "It's exhausting work to grow a child, she should be under the covers resting."

"Forgive me, Mother." Severus replied as he scooped Harriet into his arms while he stood to his feet, "I'll return in a moment."

Harriet barely heard her husband as her eyelids fluttered while she laid in her mate's strong embrace.

The siren song of waiting slumber called to her as Severus deftly carried her down the hall to their bedroom.

A soft sigh escaped Harriet's lips as Severus gently placed her in her nest, fluffed the pillows behind her, and pulled the soft blankets up to her shoulders to keep her warm.

"Sev......." Harriet whispered without opening her eyes.

She could still smell the nearness of her mate and she took great comfort in his scent.

"I'll be next to you soon, my love." Severus whispered as he reached out and gently stroked Harriet's hair, "Rest.....and you'll wake in my arms."

That thought seemed to soothe Harriet further as she abandoned her battle to stave off sleep and allowed herself to slide into a blissfully dreamy haze.

While Harriet slumbered, a content smile formed on her lips.

Severus paused for a brief moment and frowned down at his wife in tender admiration.

From Harriet's long, soft hair to her fair face, Severus couldn't help but marvel at his mate's refined beauty.

Once he knew that Harriet would not wake from the action, he leaned down and carefully pressed a loving kiss to her smiling lips.

She wriggled slightly under the blankets as Severus rose to his feet and walked to the door.

Before he left the bedroom, he turned back and cast his wife one last glance of true, unconditional devotion.

As Severus stared at Harriet longingly, the softness in his black gaze was truly touching to witness.

—————————————————————