Chapter 42 - Severus Snape, Minister for Magic

Zacznij od początku

Severus's mouth fell open.

".......How....many?" Harriet asked.

"It's not unusual for omegas to carry multiples." The midwife nodded at Harriet.

Severus's eyes widened as Harriet bravely pushed forward, "Is.....Is that what's happened this time?"

"It doesn't appear to be....However, I'm afraid my judgment on that issue may not be entirely accurate." The midwife replied with a frown of concentrated musing.

Severus let out a silent breath as Harriet waited for her to go on. The midwife furrowed her brow as she spoke, "It's odd, really, it's almost as if there's a veil inside your womb, Mrs. Snape. My diagnostic charms don't seem to penetrate as clearly as they should."

Severus and Harriet squeezed one another's hands nervously.

When the midwife noticed the anxiety she had caused the expectant parents, she laughed and assured them, "It's nothing to worry about! I don't sense anything that should carry qualms, perhaps your next child simply likes a little bit of mystery."

Mystery.......

"Perhaps." Harriet nodded.

Severus squeezed his lover's fingers as he frowned at the midwife.

He silently considered taking Harriet to another healthcare provider for a second opinion.

What kind of midwife was that woman to tease them, then talk about some sort of intangible curtain that concealed the nature of Harriet's condition?

Severus Snape hated mystery, especially when it concerned Harriet and his pups.

—————————————————————

Mr. and Mrs. Snape arrived at the Ministry of Magic that morning at an hour when most members of the wizarding world would usually be starting to wake.

However, the lacquered halls had already started to fill with witches and wizards who eagerly waited to witness the inaugural ceremony of the new Minister.

Severus and Harriet avoided the teeming crowd by taking the secret passage that led to the Minister's office.

It brightened Harriet's smile to notice that Severus walked with her pulled protectively close to him as he grasped her hand tightly in his.

As soon as they arrived at their destination, Severus led Harriet into the private room that had been built for her and Maggie.

She blinked at her mate as he helped her lower herself down into her secondary nest before he knelt in front of her.

"Are you well, my love?" Severus asked quietly, "I realize the exhaustion this morning surely caused you. If you need to rest, then do so. We have hours until the ceremony begins."

"......And meetings and interviews to fill the time!" Harriet exclaimed with a happy laugh as Severus reached out and placed one of his large, elegant hands over the slight swell of her belly.

Harriet stroked his dark hair for a moment as her emerald eyes shone with soft tenderness as she reassured her alpha, "I'm fine, Sev. You don't need to worry about me.....Today is your day."

"All of my days are about you and our children." Severus corrected her with a low growl as he leaned forward and stole a sharp kiss from her lips as he promised, "This one bears no divergence from that fact."

Harriet wanted to pull him close for a deeper kiss as the urge to shower her mate with affection overwhelmed her in the happy glow of that promising morning, but a sudden knock from the office's front door thwarted her plan.