Chapter 41 - Ancient Lullaby

En başından başla

The rabbit scowled but remained silent as it twitched its large nose.

"I would also like to warn you that I am well-acquainted with the Dark Arts." Severus threatened as he stared at the animal, "I think it's only fair to mention that I will not hesitate to use my knowledge to the fullest extent in the event of someone threatening my wife, my children, or my elf."

The bunny stayed silent and continued to twitch its nose as a voice called out, "........Sev? Are you tormenting that thing again?"

Severus turned at the sound.

His black eyes visibly widened when he saw Harriet in the doorway of the living room, covered only by the bath towel she had wrapped around herself, with her hair still wet as it spilled over her clean, glistening shoulders.

"Let the poor thing sleep and come to bed, please." Harriet pleaded with a sigh, "It's been with us for quite some time now, Sev....Maggie loves it! She'll wake up soon and have a fit if it isn't next to her."

"I told you what happened with the Animagi records earlier today." Severus insisted, "This is no ordinary rabbit.......I have a few suspicions about why it's hunted us, however-"

"-However," Harriet cut in sarcastically, "You've already performed the Animagus reversal spell, Sev! Nothing happened! The book falling into the fireplace today was an accident, nothing more. Maggie's rabbit is huge.......it probably knocked it off the desk by mistake........That desk really is too close to the hearth, anyway. They should move it."

The rabbit frowned at Severus while he frowned at Harriet.

She smiled coyly as she walked over to stand in front of her husband.

Severus looked up at Harriet with a saddened sigh as she raised her hands and placed them gently on the sides of his face.

A loving smile crossed her lips while she tucked a stray strand of Severus's raven-black hair behind his ear and asked, "Come to bed, Sev? That rabbit isn't anything but a rabbit. Maggie sleeps through the night now, completely undisturbed. It makes no noise, it doesn't harm us........That rabbit doesn't need you...Maggie doesn't need you tonight either.....but your mate does~."

Severus stared up at Harriet in awe for a moment before he leaned forward and kissed her towel-covered abdomen.

Harriet let her hands fall away from his face as he rose to his feet and grasped her hand.

They both blinked when they looked over and noticed the rabbit had already left the room.

Together, Harriet and Severus went and peered into Maggie's nursery.

In their daughter's cot, the animal slept with its ear protectively over the little girl as a furry blanket.

Harriet pecked Severus's lips before they left Maggie's door cracked and walked to their own room.

As soon as they had gone, the rabbit's single eye popped open to scowl after them.

—————————————————————-

Severus was more than ready to enjoy the delights of holding his wife close after his long day.

He had tried his best to pay attention to all of the training he had received from Kingsley.

Severus had absorbed what information he could, but he had already determined that like the job of Headmaster, the position of Minister for Magic would be exhausting.

Harriet could sense her lover's fatigue as she studied his tense expression while he climbed into her nest and laid on his back.

"Sev?" Harriet asked as she moved over and propped herself up to look down at him.