Chapter 37 - Discoveries

Start from the beginning

"Your scent is like a constant calm that I can detect every second of every day as long as I am near you." Severus drawled in his velvet voice, ".......I couldn't help but notice that constant calm had vanished as soon as you returned from your errands this morning........A balm, perhaps? Over the places that help me recognize you best?"

Severus's deep voice was as much of a thrill to Harriet as the gentle touch of his lips while he bent forward and kissed the base of her neck, where he guessed correctly that the scent-blocking balm had been applied.

"I........I don't know what you're talking about." Harriet chided while Severus placed one last, subtle kiss against her throat.

Her heart raced as his hands moved from her hips to splay possessively over her flat belly, just underneath her navel.

".........Is something the matter with the child?" Severus asked in a concerned whisper.

Harriet gasped.

Her eyes widened as he pulled back and stared into her soul.

In her shock, Harriet abandoned her ruse and scowled as she demanded, "......How did you know about-?!?"

"-Your scent has become as sweet and as lovely as it was when you carried Maggie." Severus explained.

His expression visibly softened while he gazed at Harriet.

She let out a quiet gasp of disappointment as the scowl on her face melted into a frown while she stared into Severus's dark eyes.

"You've ruined the surprise completely...." Harriet whispered, "I've planned this all day...I went to the market, bought these things for dinner, and I......I......"

As Harriet's voice trailed off, Severus deftly cut in, "-Surprise?............Have you forgotten our bond, my love?........I could sense the life that grows within you the day its conception occurred.....Now, if you will.....please.....rest. You need to be off your feet.......I can finish preparing the meal."

"I'll do no such thing!" Harriet stubbornly insisted, "I'm not injured, Sev! I'll stand here and finish the cooking....If you won't give me the opportunity to please you with pleasant news, then we can at least enjoy the food I've worked so hard on."

"You please me far more every second by breathing than you ever could with any news, my love." Severus whispered to Harriet while he gently took her into his arms and pressed her against him in a meaningful embrace.

"Sev........." Harriet whispered while he cupped her face in one of his hands.

Although Severus was a man of relatively few words, as he brushed Harriet's cheek with his thumb and stared down at her, all of her negative emotions were washed away to be replaced by a feeling of warm comfort from the look of soft, reverent admiration that she found in her alpha's dark eyes.

Harriet saw the devotion and the flicker of happy excitement about their growing family reflected in her mate's gaze.

She smiled wryly as she raised a hand to place over Severus's as he spoke, "Have you not noticed how closely I've watched your diet and water intake over the past week?"

Harriet thought back for a moment before she nodded, "........l suppose I have, actually."

"Have I not made certain that you've had an ample amount of adequate sleep each night?" He asked Harriet with a frown.

"........You have, yes." She confirmed.

Harriet felt a humbling wave of gratitude wash over her as she analyzed Severus's actions while she recalled the last few days.